Did something dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I just accidentally carbed 12 bottles (144 oz.) of my IPA with 37 grams of corn sugar. That'll be about 3.0 volumes. Oops.

(I was reading the DME amount in BeerSmith rather than the corn sugar amount...)

Dude, beware of bottle bombs!!! I would recommend putting all 12 bottles in the box then put said box in a plastic garbage bag. That way if they do detonate cleanup will be easy. 3 volumes shouldnt be an issue, just over carbed, once they have a chance to condition pour the beer into glass and allow the carbonation to release its self a bit. Either way tho, just take the safe side and put the box in a garbage bag!

I recently tested some of the bottles I had around by adding enough corn sugar to get them to 3.1 volumes CO2. I tested a bottle of each of the following brands; Sam Adams, Bells, Magic Hat and Victory. They have sat for 6 weeks with no explosions. I would by no means say this was a scientific experiment but it helps to tell me that they weren't grenades at 3.1 volumes. But who knows how close I was to the threshold.

Having said that, being aggresive with safety measures will never be a bad thing. Like already said put them in a box and wrap in a garbage bag.

I wouldn't even worry about it. I carb my apfelwein to 3 volumes and have never had one go boom.

Don't worry about it.....The majority of standard Standard bottles can hold higher than 3 volumes of co2.....When I bottled my saison at 3.5 volumes of co2, although the majority of them were in Belgians and champagne bottles I did a couple sixers of them in standard 12 ounce beer bottles for contest entries...And not one blew up....

IIRC standard beer bottles, unless there is a flaw in it, can handle about 4 volumes....

No need to stress out for .5 volumes over the typical 2-2.5 of most beers....

Yeah, wasn't too worried about bombs, just that my express purpose for bottling some of it (I kegged the rest) was for a couple of competitions.

I guess I'll be learning the bottle-from-keg process on the fly. :D

I bottled my last 16 gallons of Belgians at 4.0 volumes in standard 12 oz bottles and have yet to have an explosion, gusher, or anything else.

Latest posts

Back