Wyeast 1332 Northwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlpred55

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience with this strain. I have used it a few times now on a variety of ales like APA's, Ambers etc. It is a very nice strain IMO. It doesn't attenuate much past 73-74%. It seems to tolerate upper 60's fermentation temps well with no off flavors. I even warm it up to mid 70's to kick out a few more points out of it. I usually keep primary ferment temps for it at 67%. It floc's out nicely as well. My beers I used it with all have a nice rich malt backbone and it seems to pair well with more aggressive hopping. The APA I brewed with it had a touch over 50 IBUS and the balance is excellent, very similar to Red Seal Ale. I know some users have reported a tart finish but I haven't at all. I am really not even getting too much fruit out of it. There is just enough there to keep it interesting. I know a lot of people love the chico strain but this is a nice alternative to the dry beers that seems to give me.

I also love this strain! I tried to ferment it warmer this past winter- to coax some esters out of it. It got up to 73 degrees during the height of fermentation, but still was very "clean" tasting. I like it particularly for IPAs and APAs.

Tis is good to hear! I am using it right now for the first time in a Amber American, my temp is bouncing back and forth from 68-70 degrees. I wondered why more don't use this strain?

It will do good in your Amber. That temp is fine for it. Make sure you give it plenty of time in primary. At least 2 weeks.

I'm using this yeast for the first time. I'm excited to hear you are getting 73-74 %ADF out of this yeast. I've thrown it on a Red/Rye @ 1.066 and I'd be happy to get your range of attenuation out of this yeast. I'm fermenting around 65/66.

I have used WLP041 which I think is the white labs equivalent for my copperhook clone and yes it does clear very nicely, I was able to get it to attenuate really well, I think it was 1.054 to 1.010 since copperhook finishes dry and gets 5.7% out of a 1.054 beer. I mashed at 150 though and a good starter.

I mashed at 150 and had a 3l started. Wow, 80% out of the WLP041. I'm hoping for 1.017 to 1.015, 73 to 76%, but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get out of it. Thanks for sharing your experience with a similar yeast.

I pitched this 1332 yeast yesterday on a 1.062 beer. Had good size starter and the yeast took off immediately.

My only concern is its fermenting at approx. 60 degrees. The Wyeast specs says 65˚ to 75˚. I'm familiar with issues with fermenting at too high a temp, are there any downsides to fermenting at too low a temp even if there is lots of activity and nice size krausen?

Planning on bring the carboys upstairs to raise the temp once the initial activity dies off a bit, but wondering if I should go ahead and to that now. If I move it upstairs it will probably raise the temp to approx. 65˚

I pitched this 1332 yeast yesterday on a 1.062 beer. Had good size starter and the yeast took off immediately.

My only concern is its fermenting at approx. 60 degrees. The Wyeast specs says 65˚ to 75˚. I'm familiar with issues with fermenting at too high a temp, are there any downsides to fermenting at too low a temp even if there is lots of activity and nice size krausen?

Planning on bring the carboys upstairs to raise the temp once the initial activity dies off a bit, but wondering if I should go ahead and to that now. If I move it upstairs it will probably raise the temp to approx. 65˚

How did this batch turn out for you? I have the same thing going on right now with 1332 in a 1.052 beer at 61-62 degrees. Activity has slowed down after about 3 days (now finishing 5th day). I thinking about warming this up to keep things going as others have said. I didn't get a OG measurement, just basing it on Northern's data sheet, but I'm working on getting a refractometer or something so I can actually keep track of it.

ETA: Received an email back from Wyeast in about 10 mins.

1332 is a very flocculent strain of yeast. It will definitely slow down at those temperatures. It will take longer to finish out at 61, but it will finish. If you need it to finish quickly, I recommend increasing the temp asap.

How did this batch turn out for you? I have the same thing going on right now with 1332 in a 1.052 beer at 61-62 degrees. Activity has slowed down after about 3 days (now finishing 5th day). I thinking about warming this up to keep things going as others have said. I didn't get a OG measurement, just basing it on Northern's data sheet, but I'm working on getting a refractometer or something so I can actually keep track of it.

My batch turned out just fine. I was a little surprised at how long the krausen remained on top, over 3 weeks. Only when I added some dry hops did the krausen fall back.

My fermenting temperatures were just fine. 60˚ worked well, but I did end up raising the temp toward end of fermentation to around 65˚, but don't think it was really necessary. My apparent attenuation was 86, much higher that avg. for this strain; I think this maybe due to the freshness of yeast I bought.

I did a 1.5 liter starter with it and pitched into the following brown ale recipe.

8 lbs Weyerman Pale Malt
1 lbs Munich (9 L)
.5 US Crystal 60
.5 US Crystal 80
.5 US Chocolate Malt
.5 Flaked Oats

Mash at 152 F for 60 Minutes

13 IBUs Magnum at 60
10 IBUs Centennial at 15
6 IBUs Centennial at 5

OG was 1.052. Ferment at 66F for 4 days and the gravity is at 1.022. I am going to let it free rise to about 73F for the next few days and see what happens. My hope is to get the beer down to about 1.015 if possible. Based on this thread, do you think the 1332 yeast will attenuate this beer that low?

Certainly possible. Looks like you are currently at about 57 AA. Avg. AA for the strain is supposedly 67 - 71 AA, which would translate to an FG of around 1.017 - 1.015.

I suspect in a 10 days time you'll be hitting close to your target.

Pitched two packs of 1332 last night to a Black IPA, OG 1.086. As of this morning its blurping away. First time using yeast nutrient and second AG batch. I wrapped a towel around the primary to keep it from getting to cold, cool Colorado nights. The house stays near 65 so not too concerned with the temp getting too high. Not sure about the current temp. but I am excited to see what happens. Planning on letting it go for three days and then raise the temp with a brew-belt. I need to spend the $3 for a temp sticker.

I used this strain for a 1.055 American Pale Ale. I've been fermenting at 69, getting as low as 68 and as high as 70.5. Its been a week and a half and a significant portion of the kraeusen is still on top...doesn't look like it wants to go anywhere. I haven't had any batches yet where the kraeusen has stayed on top this long. Looking forward to the results.

Just finished bottled harvesting this yeast for a second batch of the Indian Brown Ale I made last year with this strain (similar to Boulder's Flashback Ale).

Its been a full year since I bottled. Started culture from bottle remnants in 400 ml of 1.035 wort and have since decanted and added another 600 ml of 1.040 wort to continue its growth. So far this yeast has propagated rapidly and strong. Looking forward to a second round of delicious ale from this yeast.

Just kegged an american brown with this yeast. Went from 1.059 to 1.011 in a week at roughly 65 degrees. Let it sit for 2 weeks and the Krausen finally flocc'd out. Spent the last week at about 62 degrees before kegging. Very happy thus far.

I pitched a .95l starter of this into an IPA at 1.054 and got it down to 1.010 in about 13 days. Will cold crash this thing tonight in the fridge then keg once the yeast falls out. I fermented at about 68-70 degrees the entire time not going any lower than that. It is certainly a yeast that takes it's sweet time. The beer tastes great, can't wait to sample the finished product. :mug:

Temperature Range: 65-75° F (18-24° C) - Copied from Wyeast website.

Has anyone fermented this around 70 - 75 F ?
I was going to brew a APA (summer ale) and wanted to know what happens at the higher temp with this Strain.

I do not have my freezer set up yet and my basement temp is around 70 - 72 F.

Cheers,

Just got a pack of this 1332 and will be brewing an all Amarillo APA. My brew closet can get into the mid 70's F so that is one of the reasons I went with this yeast.

Here is the recipe for a 7 gallon batch.

7lbs extra light LME
1.5lbs Pale 2 row
.75lbs Crystal 60L
.5lbs Munich
.25 Crystal 20L
1lb invert sugar

Amarillo 10.3% AA

1.5 oz @ 60 min
1 oz @ 25 min
1 oz @ 5 min
.5 oz Dry hopped in fermenter

Looking to get around 40-50 IBUS

This will get brewed as a mini-mash and add the LME 1/2 @ 60 min and 1/2 @ 15 min.

I'm thinking this 1332 will be my summer "house" strain. From the wyeast description it sounds like it will go with just about every style.

Ive used this yeast in both some brown ales and a dry stout. I didnt care for any of them. All the beers brewed with it had the same ester profile that detracted from the beer. The times I used it, the beers had were malty > hoppy by design and 1332 didnt give me the final result I was looking for. Maybe with a more hoppy ale, it will diminish the ester profile. I most likely will never use it again. BTW ferm temps were mid to low 60's and it was fruity.

I used 1332 on an IPA recently. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks; the temp in my basement was a pretty constant 72. The OG was 1.054 and finished at 1.014. I didn't notice any fruitiness in the samples at bottling time; haven't sampled the finished product yet.

Interesting,

My recent APA had an OG of .057 and finished around .011 seems like I did pretty good. I let stay between 72-74 and it was at 74 for most of the initial fermentation. I bottled after 2 weeks. I haven't tried bottles yet but from what I tasted I did have a slight sourness, but ever so light compared to the liberal amounts of Amarillo I used.

Vegas, it sounds like we may have made similar beers, though mine didn't attenuate as much as yours. I also used Amarillo: 1 oz 20 min, 1 oz flameout, 2 oz whole leaf dry hop, bittered w/ Columbus though. Any "interesting" flavors in my samples may have been masked by the hops. When I crack a bottle, I'll give my tasting notes.

So, after my APA I kept one quart of the yeast cake in a mason jar. I had it the fridge for almost 2 months. I brewed up my winter warmer 2 days ago. Mr. Malty suggested using a quart and a half due to the age. So I went ahead pitched the whole quart jar into the fermenter, no starter. Just as before it's started out slow and gradually builds steam. Like my APA this was a 7 gallon batch and like my APA it really started peaking 48 hours after pitching. But this had an og of .068 and so for the first time in my brewing history I blew the lid of the fermenter. Thankfully I was using a bucket and not a carboy or we would have had a mess. Even after I replaced the air bubbler with a rubber hose blow off tube going into a gallon jug the fermenter pressurized and bulged the lid out. This yeast gets real active 36-48 hours after pitching. Also it's a real top cropper. When I had the lid off the krausen was completely filling up the had space.

So take note if you want to use this yeast. Make sure you have plenty of head room and don't turn your back on it for the first three days. This yeast is sneaky.

Temperature Range: 65-75° F (18-24° C) - Copied from Wyeast website.

Has anyone fermented this around 70 - 75 F ?
I was going to brew a APA (summer ale) and wanted to know what happens at the higher temp with this Strain.

I do not have my freezer set up yet and my basement temp is around 70 - 72 F.

Cheers,

Yeah, bottled a batch using 1332 that copped a heat wave last week. Got up around 27 degrees C or 80 odd Fahrenheit at the 24 -36 hour mark! Got it down to 22 degrees over next 24 hours with an ice bag, fan and wet towels, and held it there for a day or so before creeping back up to 25 /26. No off flavors or smells, albeit it may have been masked by the 60g Citra dry hop too. The FV next to it using WY1968, was not so lucky, has a strange metallic yeast smell and flavor similar to using a hybrid can yeast (Coopers Premium??) over 22 degrees, still drinkable, but will be shelved for emergency purposes.

Looking to make 1332 my Summer yeast, have 1272 and 1098 on order to try for winter as I find US-05 offensive to the palate, not sure why, so 1272 will replace that and the 1098 is a tester to replace S-04.

I did find the krausen hung around like an in-law on holidays and didn't bugger off until the 3rd to 4th week in primary.

I used it, and I did not like it. It fermented 79%, and while there were no Fusel alcohols, it tasted like a beer that had big temp swings through fermentation or something... It's hard to describe the flavor other than "off."

Yeah, bottled a batch using 1332 that copped a heat wave last week. Got up around 27 degrees C or 80 odd Fahrenheit at the 24 -36 hour mark! Got it down to 22 degrees over next 24 hours with an ice bag, fan and wet towels, and held it there for a day or so before creeping back up to 25 /26. No off flavors or smells, albeit it may have been masked by the 60g Citra dry hop too. The FV next to it using WY1968, was not so lucky, has a strange metallic yeast smell and flavor similar to using a hybrid can yeast (Coopers Premium??) over 22 degrees, still drinkable, but will be shelved for emergency purposes.

Looking to make 1332 my Summer yeast, have 1272 and 1098 on order to try for winter as I find US-05 offensive to the palate, not sure why, so 1272 will replace that and the 1098 is a tester to replace S-04.

I did find the krausen hung around like an in-law on holidays and didn't bugger off until the 3rd to 4th week in primary.

Update on the two bottled brews. The 1332 brew is smoother than same recipe using S-04, it does appear to have stripped away A LOT of hop flavor and truckloads of bitterness than S-04, and some malt too... Still quite smooth and balanced tasting. As for the APA using 1968, the cooked yeast smell and taste has disappeared in the bottle and is tasting like a estery APA with a good hit of bitterness. Good enough to run both recipes again when it cools down more and compare.

Hopefully the hops stripping in the 1332 was due to temp. 81% Att. also FYI to anyone interested.

This strain sucks. I temp controlled Very well, around 65. I bought it for the low attenuation, and it was 80%!!
Terrible taste

Just finished up primary with 1332 and after 2 weeks had a krausen still on top. Raised temp and got a few more points out of it from a gravity perspective but don't have ability to get the temp up above 66 easily (I keep a colder house in the winter).

Weirdest experience yet in terms of yeast strains I worked with, but tasting during transfer seems pretty decent. I used this for Northernbrewers Carribou Slobber kit and made a starter, so kinda surprised to see krausen, but moving forward anyways. Has anyone confirmed this is indeed a trait of this yeast from Wyeast?

Rise Zombie thread...riiiiise...RISE! Sorry, got a bit dramatic there 😁
How'd that Caribou Slobber kit turn out BD? I just brewed this and am REALLY glad I split this into two 5 gal carboys after reading the " Well, I finally blew the lid off a bucket" stories! In the fermentation fridge now and set at 68°, just starting to get a head of steam at around the 40 hour mark

Last edited:
Hey thanks for asking! It actually turned out well! No off flavors. While I will say that despite its popularity on NB website, its not my favorite, but I think it held true to the intended style. Good luck with the rest of your brew!!

BTW - I highly suggest giving NB's German Alt kit a shot. Drinking it now and its like a beautiful dunkel backbone but with just a touch of hop presence (predominantly in the form of bitterness) and its an Ale vs a Lager :)

Its been a hit thus far

This yeast is extremely explosive. I've blown the fermentor lid 3 times now with this strain, even when holding temps in the low to mid 60's. I just expect it now, even with a blow off tube it's blown the lid (tube got plugged). It seems to produce a very flavorful IPA/APA. I have a house IPA that I use 1056 but will change it to 1332 next time I brew it up to see what difference it makes.

Do you think this is the original strain of Gales brewery? Would you expect to find the same yeast from Fuller's (former Gales) HSB bottles? I have read that many British bottle conditioned ales are conditioned with the same strain that is used in primary fermentation.

Last edited:
Do you think this is the original strain of Gale's brewery? Would you expect to find the same yeast from Fuller's (former Gale's) HSB bottles? I have read that many British bottle conditioned ales are conditioned with the same strain that is used in primary fermentation.

According to the Wyeast description, it's the house yeast at a big brewery in the Pac NW. Who know's what it's lineage is.

As an aside, anyone know if this might work well for a NE IPA? 1318 has a weird/funky (bandaid/rubber?) flavor that I don't enjoy and can pick out immediately no matter what temp I ferment it at.

Yes, I have read that NW brewery got it from Gales Brewery? In fact I'm just learning how to grow yeast from the bottles and this would be a nice strain to experiment with cause I'm interested in brewing bitters and Gales used to brew some good ones. Maybe this strain (or equivalent) can be found from the bottle conditioned Gales HSB that Fuller's is brewing now.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read that NW brewery got it from Gale's Brewery? In fact I'm just learning how to grow yeast from the bottles and this would be a nice strain to experiment with cause I'm interested in brewing bitters and Gale's used to brew some good ones. Maybe this strain (or equivalent) can be found from the bottle conditioned Gale's HSB that Fuller's is brewing now.

This source seems to agree with you.

I’m done all my brewing for this year but I want to make a point to try this yeast next year. Been brewing 20+ years and I never used it or if I ever did I never wrote it down. Wyeast says its good for the whole American Ale family - blonde ale, pale ale, IPA, double IPA, Amber ale, Brown ale, porter, stout, barleywine.
Interesting that its origin does appear to be English. I think I want to try this in the Stone clone:
https://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/miscellany/2015/stone-pale-ale#ageGatePassed

Back