Witbier HoneyWit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safbrew WB-06
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 70°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 70°
Tasting Notes
none yet
Ingredients:
--------------------------
2.4 lbs wheat dme(3lb lme)
1.6 lbs light dme(2lb lme)
1.0 oz cascade pellet hops
1.5 lbs clover honey
1.0 oz fresh orange zest(1Orange)
1.0 oz coriander seed(4Tbsp whole)
1 cup clover honey for priming
Safbrew WB-06 dry ale yeast

Brewing:
Mix extracts into 2.5 gallons water and bring to a boil.
When boil starts, add .25oz cascade hops.
Add remaining hops .25oz each at 30, 15, and 0 minutes.
Remove wort from heat and add clover honey, orange zest, and crushed coriander.
Cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
Pour wort onto bag of ice, top up to 5 gallons, pitch yeast at 80°

This was the first batch I've made that didn't use a pre-hopped malt extract or a pre-packaged kit.

I am making this now, after a few weeks of research and tinkering. It started out as me wanting to make a honey beer, and evolved into this sort of hybrid of wheat/honey beer. I'll post updates as I have them. The wife and I love blue moon so if it's anything like that I'll be happy. Total bill was $28 for 5 gallons.

Tastes very close to Blue Moon. Everyone who's tried it has loved it. I'll definitely be making this again, probably use an even 3lbs of wheat dme and 3lbs of light dme. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Everyone who's tried this loves it. Here's the final recipe I'll be sticking with:

Recipe:
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.4%
IBU: 15
SRM: 2

Ingredients:
3 lbs wheat dme
2 lbs light dme
1 oz cascade pellet hops
1.5 lbs clover honey
1 oz fresh orange zest(2 Lrg Oranges)
1 oz coriander seed(4 Tbsp whole)
american wheat yeast
corn sugar for priming

Brewing:
Mix extracts into 2.5 gallons water and bring to a boil.
When boil starts, add .25oz cascade hops.
Add remaining hops .25oz each at 30, 15, and 0 minutes.
Remove wort from heat and add clover honey, orange zest, and crushed coriander.
Cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
Pour wort onto bag of ice, top up to 5 gallons, pitch yeast at 80°
5 days in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, prime with corn sugar and let carb 3 weeks.

Delicious and quick summer brew. Very similar to blue moon.

So you don't put any grains in whatsoever? I was wondering how the head retention was and mouthfeel. Do you think some carapils or caramel 10 would be good? What about some white wheat or unmalted wheat?

I made a blackberry wheat a while back that I added: .5lbs belgian wheat, and .5lbs flaked oats after doing a bit of research into making a good wheat beer. You could do something similar if you wanted, I'm just not gonna mess with this recipe because it turned out so good and it was so simple and cheap to make. If my blackberryWheat comes out phenomenal I may have to change my mind...

So I have this in secondary right now after 12 days in primary. I added some ginger and substituted lemon peel for some orange to this on top of a little more lme. Anyway, I noticed that after I racked it, there were little bubbles coming up in it. Almost looked like carbonation bubbles in a glass. Any ideas? I'm pretty damn sure it was done with active fermentation. Reached fg anyway....

Back