Beerswap: BeeGee's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to post my review of The Baron's beers now.

----

That's it. Thanks.

-walker

PS: This is a subtle hint to BeeGee that I haven't actually HAD any of his beers yet. I'm starting to doubt whether you really are a homebrewer. I think you are just posing as one. :D

What are you talking about? I tried to give you a Hefeweizen and Weizenbock at the Kaiser's and you claimed you don't like them! (Disciple of Brewpastor, probably...) The Highland Gaelic that you claimed you were going to brew with me (actually, Dude was in on that, too...) will be carbonated by the weekend, and I brewed an APA yesterday that should be ready in a month or 5 weeks. I'll get Jeff to hold you down while I pour them down your throat! ;)

Baron von BeeGee said:
What are you talking about? I tried to give you a Hefeweizen and Weizenbock at the Kaiser's and you claimed you don't like them! (Disciple of Brewpastor, probably...)
True... you offered the wheat beers to me at Kai's. I don't typically like wheat beers. I did try a taste of your Weizenbock, and thought it was pretty good, but it was too small a sample to really critique. I had to leave early from that gathering because of the storm that leveled my neighborhood.

Baron von BeeGee said:
The Highland Gaelic that you claimed you were going to brew with me (actually, Dude was in on that, too...) will be carbonated by the weekend, and I brewed an APA yesterday that should be ready in a month or 5 weeks. I'll get Jeff to hold you down while I pour them down your throat! ;)

No need to hold me down. I'll gladly accept.

-walker

Well, if you promise not to run...

They're both destined for kegs, so you'll have to pop by or I can pull a Kaiser and picnic tap a bottle or two. Actually, the APA is destined for Squealfest 2007 (a little party honoring the greatest American film ever made that my friends and I throw each year), but I'll get you an invite.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Actually, the APA is destined for Squealfest 2007 (a little party honoring the greatest American film ever made that my friends and I throw each year)

Deep Throat? Porky's? Deliverance?

You know what, I just realized I have an amber ale or two laying around. It was a recipe my neighbor wanted to brew involving peated malt and, frankly, I'm not a big fan of it. But who knows, you might be!

I was able to sample BeeGee's Hefeweizen and Kai's Maibock yesterday. I can't offer any expert opinions on them other than they were delicious and quite refreshing in the 95 F heat.
Jeff

I sampled a couple of The Baron's beers over at BOSTON's house while brewing Sunday.

Gaelic Ale (clone)
Very, very good. I'll save the long winded description, but for those of you familiar with Highland Brewing Company's Gaelic Ale, BeeGee pretty much nailed it. His clone has a little more (too much?) sweetness, but the underlying flavor was spot on. The color seemed a bit more 'red' than the real-deal, but that might have been the heat playing tricks on me. I'd have to compare them side by side for a real color comparison and a better flavor comparison.

Smoked Amber Ale
I liked this a lot. BeeGee swears that the flavor of the 1/2 oz of peated malt is strong in this brew, but I found it to be a subtle component of the beer. Over all, the beer was "ok", but I would have actually prefered MORE of a peated flavor or a complete removal of it. The peat taste was just enough to tease me.

-walker

Glad you liked them. Really, they were both recipes I followed, so more of an indication of how well I follow directions :)

I'll probably try the HG clone again but with a little less crystal. The peated amber just wasn't one of my favorites, but not a bad beer overall (clone of MacTarnahan's amber).

Back