Used my new counterflow chiller for the first time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got to try out my counterflow chiller. It's a standard 3/8" copper tube with the garden hose around it. A friend and I brewed a 5G batch of Belgian Wit, and it cooled the hot wort down to 70 F as fast as it would flow out of the bucket. I had to turn down the water or it came out closer to 55 F.

This sure beats the ice water bath I used to use. Can't wait to try it on AG this summer!:rockin:

Awesome ! My CFC chiller components arrive in the next few days. Just a question how did you deliver the wort to the chiller ? Via silicone tube etc ?

Initially I need to go with a gravity feed. Is this what you did?

PS who long is your CFC hose ?

Do you have to do anything to get the new copper ready for wort? Boiling water, cleaner's, or sanitizer's? I will be trying my new counterflow chiller out this weekend.:D

Run Vinegar and hot water before the first use. The directions can be found under Bobby_M's tutorial.

You can then run boiling wort through it before cooling or use leftover sparge water with sanitizer in it right before the boil.

After finished, keep it hooked up and then fill your kettle with some more water and flush it out.

Otherwise get ready to use an air compressor to blow it out next time.

Back