American Amber Ale Broken Leg House Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your answer. I went to my LHBS today and they had both the Cascades and the Williamettes in pellets and whole. I went ahead and got pellets for the boil, and whole for the dry hop in the secondary. Picked up Wyeast1056 as well. The cat that runs te LHBS said this recipie looks really good and wants to know how it turns out. I'm gonna brew this up (extract brew) this monday.

Thanks again!

Gary

Thank you for your answer. I went to my LHBS today and they had both the Cascades and the Williamettes in pellets and whole. I went ahead and got pellets for the boil, and whole for the dry hop in the secondary. Picked up Wyeast1056 as well.

Gary

I prefer pellets for dry hopping because I don't lose as much of the finished beer through absorption into the hop material. I use a hop straining bag or a spider in the boil, so I generally use the whole hops there when I have them.

Anyone else?

Using my Kal Electric Brewery clone I adjusted my ingredients for 90% efficiency. I mashed at 151 and collected enough for a 90 minute boil. Got starting gravity of 1.058 and now fermenting away at 68 in my ferm chamber.

Barry:mug:

This one is rocking in the primary, using a serving hose as a blow off, it is putting out 4 bubbles per second for 2 days and now has slowed to 2 bubbles a second.

Barry

Just got this settled into the Primary about 2 hours ago. My OG was off a tad... don't know if that's cuz I did the extract brew vs. AG. But as Alfred E. Neuman would say "What, me worry?"

Lookin' forward to seein' this beer through to completion.

Gary

Well... this went to bottle about a week ago. Like always... I do a one bottle "QA" test after about 5 to 7 days in the bottle. :)

Even for doin' an extract brew with specialty grains... this is the best beer I have brewed to date. Lookin' forward to it coming to completion in another 10 to 14 days in the bottles.

I'm gonna do it again, and change the hop bill, and see how it tunrs out. Thinkin' maybe Centennials and Fuggles. :)

Thanks Yoop!

Gary

Tomorrow morning I plan to brew a slightly modified version of this. I'm keeping the hop schedule, but I'm doing a partial mash. Here's the grain bill.

4 lbs Briess Golden DME
3 lbs Marris Otter
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lb Munich 10L

Safale US-05

It ought to be similar-ish, I imagine. Maybe a little light on the color, Promash says 12.7 but boiling the DME might get it a little darker. I tend to get 50-55% efficiency, so I should be around 1.052 for my OG. Wish I could figure out how to up my efficiency, but that's another thread. Excited to brew this.

Brewing up this one tomorrow. I ferment in the basement and the ambient down there is about 60F, so I went with the US-05. Really looking forward to having a solid Amber this summer for when a lighter ale just won't cut it. :mug:

Tomorrow morning I plan to brew a slightly modified version of this. I'm keeping the hop schedule, but I'm doing a partial mash. Here's the grain bill.

4 lbs Briess Golden DME
3 lbs Marris Otter
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lb Munich 10L

Safale US-05

It ought to be similar-ish, I imagine. Maybe a little light on the color, Promash says 12.7 but boiling the DME might get it a little darker. I tend to get 50-55% efficiency, so I should be around 1.052 for my OG. Wish I could figure out how to up my efficiency, but that's another thread. Excited to brew this.

Been drinking this for over a week now. Pretty nice brew. I'm going all-grain so maybe later this year I'll brew up the recipe as originally written. I'm sure mine is a bit different, it's got a light caramel taste and a bit of a hop bite. I also went a touch high on the ABV, but it's pretty easy to put down a couple pints!

Brewing this one up tomorrow I dont have willamette so I will be substituting another hop. Ive been drinking a lot of amber ales lately so im excited for this.

Just brewed a batch of this today. I'm using s-04 and put it in my fermentation chamber that doesn't have a controller yet and gets a little too cold. :)

How does this one compare to your hoppy amber? I brewed that one and loved it, but I'm looking for something more sessionable. This could fit the bill.

How does this one compare to your hoppy amber? I brewed that one and loved it, but I'm looking for something more sessionable. This could fit the bill.

That's a good question! It's different, and I never thought about comparing them. This was more of a "Bell's Amber" type of beer- hopped up a bit more, but not really what I would call a hoppy amber. It's a bit more subdued, and a bit more caramelly, I think.

Never used S-04 before. I blew off my airlock overnight after 24 hours. So I switched to blowoff tube and somehow it managed to blow that off as well. I hope nothing has been able to get in there and funk it up. I also smelled some of those fruity esters even though I've kept it in a water bath of 60 to 64 degree water. My guess is that the fermentation was so active that it may have reached higher 60's internally. This one is so messy that I'm going to move it to a secondary for dry hopping. I have never used a secondary before, but I've also never had one this messy.

I saved this for a future recipe that I want to try. To make sure I understand the dry hop schedule, is it one week in primary, then dryhop the second week in secondary? On the original recipe it has 14 in primary, but just states "for dry hopping in secondary with no # of days.

Thanks much,

Ken

I saved this for a future recipe that I want to try. To make sure I understand the dry hop schedule, is it one week in primary, then dryhop the second week in secondary? On the original recipe it has 14 in primary, but just states "for dry hopping in secondary with no # of days.

Thanks much,

Ken

I tend to never use a secondary anymore. Just add the dryhops 5-7 days before packaging. If you do rack to a clearing vessel, just dryhop for the last week.

Wjvn0j5.jpg

I have to say. I had no real expectations for this beer when I brewed it, in fact I was hesitant based on the amount of crystal in the recipe, but I have to say it is fantastic. I only brewed 2.5 gallons as a test batch, and will be keeping this in regular rotation.

Thanks Yoop!

Quick question about the hops.. When I imported this recipe into BeerSmith, the IBUs only came out to 14.9, when the recipe states more than double. What could be causing such a disparity?

Any thoughts on subbing out the Willamette with Glacier hops? I have no experience with Glacier but from what I'm reading it seems it will kick up the fruity flavors a notch or two, but I can't really tell.

I have access to a bunch of Glacier, but I can get Willamette cheap so it's no big deal. I may just replace the bittering addition with Glacier just because in my research it seems like Glacier has pretty smooth bittering qualities.

Picked up the grain for a half batch of this today...planning to brew with a friend this coming week. Got a slight inclination to boost it just a little with a caramel addition.

Thanks!

Brewed this last night. Forgot all about the Irish moss, as is the way with most of my brew days.

This stuff came out surprisingly dark. I actually overshot my volume by a couple of quarts (on a half batch), but I'd already compensated with a little extra base grain.

This was almost brown porter color in the carboy. It should lighten up to a nice copper or red, though, I imagine. I hated to send half of it with my friend, having seen the final wort.

One thing I've had to do with this batch, that I've never tried before, is no-chill brewing. When I left for work this morning, it was still pretty warm. I'm assuming that with proper sanitation and an airlock, this will be ok until I can get home to pitch some US-05, right?

One thing I've had to do with this batch, that I've never tried before, is no-chill brewing. When I left for work this morning, it was still pretty warm. I'm assuming that with proper sanitation and an airlock, this will be ok until I can get home to pitch some US-05, right?

The answer to this is decidedly yes. On Tuesday afternoon I pitched a slurry of yeast I harvested Monday from a pale ale, and when I got home yesterday, the krausen was high.

This has a great smell from the airlock, already. It's different from the few brews I've done already. The hops and malt combine for an almost tea-like aroma that's really pleasant. I can't wait to bottle this in another week or week and a half.

Since I seem to be using this thread as my own personal brewing log, I hope nobody minds of I continue.

This beer fermented vigorously for about three days. When I got home yesterday the krausen had dropped and there has been little to no airlock activity since then. Can this be finished? I planned to give it until the middle of next week before starting to dry hop, but I may go ahead and drop in the pellets. At this rate I could bottle next Friday, 11 days after brewing!

I'm using a bucket fermenter, so I can't see much, but by shining a light on it, I can see that it has lightened considerably, going from a deep brown to more of a reddish color.

I think this is a good candidate for clearing with gelatin. Is anybody doing that with this beer?

I went ahead and dry hopped on the first. I cut the hops in half. I'm dealing with a much smaller volume, so I think a quarter ounce of hops (half Cascade/half Willamette) in 5 quarts of beer should be plenty.

Dry hopped for 6 days and then chilled. Added gelatin one day layer.

1416087564613.jpg

1416087580781.jpg

1416087614941.jpg

Bottling day was this past Wednesday. You can see from the pics that this beer has a great color, and it's crystal clear. What I wish I could attach here is the incredible aroma of this beer.

The single bottle looks cloudy, but it's just condensation. If you look closely, you can see the light fixture and the room on the other side of the bottle.

1416088495028.jpg

1416088520769.jpg

1416088540356.jpg

@Yooper you ever brew this with something other than 04/05? I have a pale ale to bottle this weekend, and this Nottingham cake is just begging to keep brewing.

@Yooper you ever brew this with something other than 04/05? I have a pale ale to bottle this weekend, and this Nottingham cake is just begging to keep brewing.

Over the last few years, I actually stopped using both S04 and S05. S04 is ok at 62 degrees, but otherwise I didn't like the 'tart' flavor I got with it. For S05, it takes forever to clear for me and I've found that I only like it fermented at 66-68 due to some 'peachy' notes.

I almost always use WLP001 for American ales (also a Chico strain, but I like it a lot more than S05), Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) for many that need a malt balance, and lately I've tried Omega's OLY004 and I like that alot.

I keep S05 on hand, in case of a stuck fermentation as I like to have some dry yeast on hand, but I reach for BRY97 for dry yeast before S05 and haven't used S05 in ages.

Over the last few years, I actually stopped using both S04 and S05. S04 is ok at 62 degrees, but otherwise I didn't like the 'tart' flavor I got with it. For S05, it takes forever to clear for me and I've found that I only like it fermented at 66-68 due to some 'peachy' notes.

Interesting. I brewed this last batch with 05. It finished in a couple of days, and it fell out of suspension fairly quickly. I do prefer the way English strains form a compact yeast cake, though.

I'll give it a try with Notty, as it's yielded good results in a couple of pales lately, and I have the luxury of a nice cool garage for fermenting for the next few weeks.

Where are you getting your Omega strains? I haven't seen them locally. Do you prefer these because they're more neutral in this beer?

I almost always use WLP001 for American ales (also a Chico strain, but I like it a lot more than S05), Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) for many that need a malt balance, and lately I've tried Omega's OLY004 and I like that alot.

I keep S05 on hand, in case of a stuck fermentation as I like to have some dry yeast on hand, but I reach for BRY97 for dry yeast before S05 and haven't used S05 in ages.

What temp are you fermenting with BRY97?

Not to interrupt the discussion, but can anyone suggest a 'toned down' hop amount and schedule for a cleaner tasting, less hop forward, Amber?

Latest posts

Back