First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixmylo

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Feb. 2nd. It's a Belgian amber partial mash. Fermentation seemed to go well though it did not have a real big layer of krausen only about an inch or two. After 11 days it is still VERY cloudy. It doesn't seem to have clarified at all. Is that normal?

It can take some time. Did you use irish moss or anything else to help it clear? After you bottle, chilling for at least one week will also help it clear up.

Finally, some styles (witbier for exampe) are supposed to be cloudy. I'm not knowledgeable enough about BJCP style guidelines, but perhaps a Belgian Amber is supposed to be a bit cloudy anyway.

Some yeasts are not particularly flocculant, so don't expect them to clear on their own. It doesn't affect taste, so lots of people don't worry about it. However, lots of people are into presentation. If you are one of them, there are a few things you an try to clarify your brew.

1. Add gelatin. I think a "standard" packet is about 1/4 oz. you can get a 4 pack for like $0.99 at any grocery store. Get unflavored. Put the packet into some warm water for microwave 10 seconds at a time until it is dissolved. Don't overheat it. Pour that into your brew and leave it for 24-48 hours.

2. Cold crash. Cool it as much as possible without freezing and hold it there for 24-48 hours or longer. Ideally you would get into the low 30's, but if you can't, any cooling is better than none.

3. As was mentioned, the longer you leave a bottle in the fridge, the clearer the beer will be and the more compacted the sediment will be. Pour gently (in one pour) into a glass, leaving the last 1/2" behind.

Good luck.

I was thinking that I would leave it on primary for a other week to ten days then attempt a cold crash for up to a week before bottling. I used Wyeast 1188 strong Belgian ale yeast. Will that still leave enough in suspension after cold crash to carbonate etc. after bottling?

I was thinking that I would leave it on primary for a other week to ten days then attempt a cold crash for up to a week before bottling. I used Wyeast 1188 strong Belgian ale yeast. Will that still leave enough in suspension after cold crash to carbonate etc. after bottling?

Yes there will be plenty of yeast in suspension for carbonation after cold crashing, or gelatin + cold crashing.

Back