11 months in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStage

Reaction score
a year ago I received a brew kit as a gift, and joined HBT. I did an Oktoberfest extract brew and put it in primary at the recommended temp, for the recommended time.

after realizing it would take me a little longer to get to bottling, I eventually moved it to cool temps in my basement.....

long story real short.....life got in the way.

It has been 11 months. There is no mold, and it actually tastes pretty good.
My question;

can I use sugar from the kit and bottle as directed, will it carbonate? Is this a big waste of time?
any thoughts would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance!

You might want to add some new yeast when you bottle it up to make sure it carbs properly.

But since it tastes fine bottle it up and enjoy.

Hello, I would seriously think about adding fresh yeast before bottling, with that length of time gone by and the yeast dropping out, it might take for ever for your brew to carb up if you don't add some fresh yeast. just my 2 cents.

Please let us know how it comes out.

Cheers and good luck :mug:

I think I'll just go for it.

I'll give it extra time to carbonate, and get a new brew going.
thanks for the replies!!

thanks for the replies!!

This is the perfect response. It should carb up just fine; maybe a little slow, but if you don't do something silly like try to open a bottle after a few days, and just give it some extra time (beyond the typical three week baseline) it will do fine.

This is the perfect response. It should carb up just fine; maybe a little slow, but if you don't do something silly like try to open a bottle after a few days, and just give it some extra time (beyond the typical three week baseline) it will do fine.

Yep, completely agree. Stick it somewhere that's about 75F, leave it there for the next 6 weeks, and then chill one and test it.

sweet! patience I have (he says 11 months later).

75 degrees in Maine? well, that's something else, but I'll find it.

thanks!

thanks for the replies!!

One thing to be cautious of, while this beer will likely be great, just make sure to thoroughly clean your fermenter and look for stains and scratches. Not saying they did happen, but if you have stains or scratches toss it out. The 15 bucks it costs to get a new bucket is well worth it. I'm only speaking out of an experience I had with a beer sitting in the primary a long time.

Back