Washed Yeast-Repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading the stickies and the different threads on re-using yeast.
I brewed an Irish Red ale OG 1.053 wyeast 1084. I now want to brew a Scottish Strong OG 1.080 same yeast.
Using cooled boiled water slush yeast cake in fermenter to stir it up.
Pour into sanatized jar. Let separate. Pour off liquid. Use 1-2 cups of slurry and pitch in new beer. Or store in refridgerator for a limited time.
Does this look sound?

Depending on how much of the slurry is trub, 1-2 cups of slurry is a lot.
Thick yeast slurry is usually counted as 1B cells per ML. This does not take into account the percentage of hops and dead yeast.
1 cup = 236.5 ML.

I've been reading up on this as well and am interested in what others have to say.

In the past I've always just left a little beer in the bottom of the carboy, swirled it around and poured it into a jar and used that slurry for pitching directly into my next batch. I never had any bad beers doing this and have kept it in my fridge for around a month.

I think your process sounds good. I use sterilized water and jars (i.e. boil the jars in water for 20 minutes, remove jars full of boiling water, cap immediately, let cool on counter, refrigerate for later use).

What you're suggesting is basically storing your yeastcake - no extra steps for removing trub. My understanding is that viability goes down a little quicker this way, as opposed to pouring the liquid yeast slurry off of the trub and storing that instead. Using our rudimentary methods I'm guessing the difference is minimal but worth noting. I have also read that storing yeast with most trub can lead to "off-ness" quicker than rinsing, but again our methods leave quite a bit to be desired (if only we had the White Labs lab to work in :D ).

I've been reading up on this as well and am interested in what others have to say.

In the past I've always just left a little beer in the bottom of the carboy, swirled it around and poured it into a jar and used that slurry for pitching directly into my next batch. I never had any bad beers doing this and have kept it in my fridge for around a month.

That would be easier, of course that is beer your using:). 1 cup slurry good for 1.050 5 gallon batch? I have not finalized my recipe yet. I am guessing 1.080 OG. I will calculate pitching rate when I finalize. Just wondering if this sounds right as far a methodology.

I think your process sounds good. I use sterilized water and jars (i.e. boil the jars in water for 20 minutes, remove jars full of boiling water, cap immediately, let cool on counter, refrigerate for later use).

What you're suggesting is basically storing your yeastcake - no extra steps for removing trub. My understanding is that viability goes down a little quicker this way, as opposed to pouring the liquid yeast slurry off of the trub and storing that instead. Using our rudimentary methods I'm guessing the difference is minimal but worth noting. I have also read that storing yeast with most trub can lead to "off-ness" quicker than rinsing, but again our methods leave quite a bit to be desired (if only we had the White Labs lab to work in :D ).

Yeah your right, if i let the trub settle in fermenter, then siphon into jar and let separate, it would be better. I read the excellent yeast washing thread and it gave me confidence to try it. I probably would not store the yeast. I would use it right away.

Latest posts

Back