Grain ordering questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done two all grain batches and hope to start my third this weekend. I don't have a mill grinder, so I have to buy my grains crushed. When I've ordered an all grain kit, the whole grain bill is combined into one single bag. I have no problem with that, but was curious if:

1) Can you have the milled grains in a kit separated to individual bags if you were wanting to scale down a 5 gallon kit? What if you select the grains in a kit to be unmilled? Will they still combine them into a single bag or separate bags?

2) If I'm not buying a kit and having to "piece together" a grain bill for a recipe found here, will those grains also be separated so each grain can be weighed and portioned as per said recipe? I'm assuming yes since I'd be adding them individually to my cart when online.

3) I haven't really ordered from anyone else but Northern Brewer, so if I requested my grains, milled or unmilled, within a kit to be in separate bags will they do it for me? If not, what companies are good about doing this?

Just some curious questions. I have a cousin that also brews, but I think he's looking to do smaller than 5 gallon batches. We usually swap out a few bottles of our current batches, but had an idea of maybe splitting the grain bill instead of splitting the batch after it's been bottled. This way I could still brew a recipe the way I want and he the way he wants.

I used to live in Ringgold, you've got two great online LHBS near your house. One down in North Atlanta, brewmasterswarehouse.com and the other up north of Nashville, rebelbrewer.com.
I'm pretty sure they'll do it at BMW, never ordered crushed from Rebel, so not sure.

Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies have always been very good about special instructions in my orders, and would definitely do this for you if you asked.

If you don't want to worry about them getting special instructions right, check out Brewmaster's Warehouse. Their Brew Builder module is designed to segment all of the grains into separate recipes, and they will package it the exact way you specify it in that module with no special instructions required.

Good luck!

Back