Are you a farmhouse brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Anyone else live on a farm or in a farmhouse and brew mostly saisons?

No...but I am reading Farmhouse Ales right now! Really enjoying the book. Definetly want to brew up a Biere de garde...it seems like an extremely unappreciated style.

No...but I am reading Farmhouse Ales right now! Really enjoying the book. Definetly want to brew up a Biere de garde...it seems like an extremely unappreciated style.

Local place (White Bluffs Brewing) does an awesome Bier de Garde, first time I had it was at their brewery and haven't seen many commercial examples of it available to sample.

No farmhouse myself so I guess I can't qualify but I live in a suburb that is growing into farmland so right behind my house is an animal hospital with a farm attached to it. I have cows and horses right behind me and a barn on the other side of my fence. Does that count? I use my detached garage to heat up my saisons during the summer. It's like a barn for cars. Does that count?

I do brew some saisons and love lots of saisons. I'd brew more or experiment with more "farmhouse" versions of other beers but there's lots of other stuff I like to brew but I don't drink through my beer fast enough to brew everything I love. I have a long, long list of beers I want to brew that I never get through. Every time I think the list is done and I'll start perfecting recipes I find a new technique or twist on a style to try. However, I do a lot of research on farmhouse style beers so I'd be happy to fill in on some information.

Thinking more along the lines of a direct involvement in agriculture, a giant freaking 150 year old house with a name and generations of family history, or both. The whole 'farmhouse' label cracks me up, although I tend to use it interchangeably with 'saison'. Doesn't irk me quite like 'belgian'.

I'm always disappointed when I try a commercial Saison and it tastes like a regular Wit.

This is not relevant to the OP.

Have a 15 gallon syrah barrel fermenting with Roeselare blend that I'm gonna keep going for the next couple years, does that count?

I live on a small farm in a farmhouse built in 1901. I malt my own wheat and think I'll try barley next. I do make a wide variety of beer styles. Think I might put in a couple hop plants next year too. I love country life.

Blueflint said:
I live on a small farm in a farmhouse built in 1901. I malt my own wheat and think I'll try barley next. I do make a wide variety of beer styles. Think I might put in a couple hop plants next year too. I love country life.

I think wheat is supposed to be harder to malt than barley, but malting is a big project no matter what. What's your process?

My family owns a hobby farm. I mostly help harvest apples and mulberries for wines, jams and juice. I grow my own hops, this year was year 1 after the transplant so no real harvest. I have made a saison, it took a gold medal in a local HBC comp. (Recipe is my drop down.)

why?

Blueflint said:

I'm jealous. My wife and I are looking for some land now.

My family owns a hobby farm. I mostly help harvest apples and mulberries for wines, jams and juice. I grow my own hops, this year was year 1 after the transplant so no real harvest. I have made a saison, it took a gold medal in a local HBC comp. (Recipe is my drop down.)

why?

Just wondered if there was anyone else with an old family farm who likes 'farmhouse ales', I guess. Brewing was supposed to be a hobby, but I have a habit of being too good at my hobbies to keep them as such. I started off baking for fun and now I'm self employed. I think I'd brewed three batches before folks started trying to buy my beer.....NO!!!!!!

We might have the opporuntity to acquire more land adjacent to our current place, or the part of my wife's family's farm that is still in the family and I've been having that 'Oh no, here we go again feeling'. Afraid I'm going to wake up one morning 15 years from now with a few acres of sour cherries and a barn full of barrels. There are worse fates, no doubt.

I live in the suburbs, but probably 80% of my beers are funky. The other 20% being big hoppy beers and huge stouts. Nothing bland around my place.

I think wheat is supposed to be harder to malt than barley, but malting is a big project no matter what. What's your process?

I don't want to derail this original topic but wheat malting is quite easy. Use the following...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/easy-wheat-malting-picture-guide-322877/

Some of my wheat is dried in a greenhouse and some is dried in my kitchen oven set to "warm" which is 150-175 degrees. The oven method does slightly give a different result...just a little nutty.

Back