NEMA 16-30 vs 14-30 inlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Would a NEMA 16-30 inlet work for my Kal clone control panel in place of the 14-30 inlet receptacle?
Links would have helped a lot instead of forcing everyone to research just to answer your question.You already looked at both. Please give everyone a clue.

No?

P-J

4 wires, 30 amps. Why not? The 16's are actually intended for 3ø systems and will tolerate higher voltages. If you were in a facility where there was a danger of plugging a 3ø machine in to it I'd say no but in this applications it's probably OK. Might violate code though.

Thanks, although after looking closer one is twist lock and a standard 14-30 is not. However, I may still get the 16-30 inlet and just find a 16-30 plug for the end of my dryer cord to go into the inlet. I don't think any code applies since it is being installed into the bottom of the enclosure of the control panel. Any other thoughts?

I'm an engineer and not a lawyer so I have trouble reading the code but I think 110.3(B) might be the gotcha. It says that listed equipment must be installed and used per instructions or listing. Presumably the NEMA specs/listing or whatever it is say that the 16 series are for 3ø and the 14 for 120/240. If you use them interchangeably is that a violation? If you are in a facility that uses both 3ø and biphase equipment you can see how doing so could lead to problems and that is why there are two types of plugs which have the same capabilities in terms of the number of poles and their current carrying capacities but which will not mate with one another.

Is there any technical reason you can't use either one? Will you ever accidentally plug in a 3ø solids pump? No on both counts. Is there a 'legal' reason you shouldn't use a 16? Perhaps.

But given that anyone who sells the 16-30 doubtless sells the 14-30 why not just get the 'right' one?

I'm an engineer and not a lawyer so I have trouble reading the code but I think 110.3(B) might be the gotcha. It says that listed equipment must be installed and used per instructions or listing. Presumably the NEMA specs/listing or whatever it is say that the 16 series are for 3ø and the 14 for 120/240. If you use them interchangeably is that a violation? If you are in a facility that uses both 3ø and biphase equipment you can see how doing so could lead to problems and that is why there are two types of plugs which have the same capabilities in terms of the number of poles and their current carrying capacities but which will not mate with one another.

Is there any technical reason you can't use either one? Will you ever accidentally plug in a 3ø solids pump? No on both counts. Is there a 'legal' reason you shouldn't use a 16? Perhaps.

But given that anyone who sells the 16-30 doubtless sells the 14-30 why not just get the 'right' one?

Excellent!

I used that same male plug on my welder, I got it for free out of a junk pile at work. I filed off a little bit on one of the prongs and it fits just fine into a 120/240 4 wire twistlock (my welder doesn't use a neutral, I just use a 4 prong cord cap so I don't have to run another receptacle.)

If you use them interchangeably is that a violation? If you are in a facility that uses both 3ø and biphase equipment you can see how doing so could lead to problems and that is why there are two types of plugs which have the same capabilities in terms of the number of poles and their current carrying capacities but which will not mate with one another.

I agree. That is precisely the reason there are so many different configurations of plugs/receptacles. To have enough to make the necessary connections covering the multitude of power systems, yet mitigate improper interconnections.

I would think that there would be some differences in the plugs that dont allow them to interchange. The prong with the bend goes the other way, or is on the other side, etc. I am doing the same thing, looking at plugs for a pid on the way. Going to go with the L14-30 to keep in the correct voltage rating.

Back