Label water proofing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezza

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Joined a few days ago but had trouble making a post. ( computer illiterate ) ,,, or maybe my brew is fermenting to close to the monitor,,, Anyway Ronjer helped me out and here I am.
I've made about four brews in the past, wasn't too bad , about a year and a half ago was my last attempt. My lovely lady complained I was spending too much money on grog and went out a few days ago and bought a second brew kit. Gotta be a classic insperational kick in the *#%. Anyway now I've got two brews going at once and back into it.
My problem is, that I made a number of labels in Adobe photo shop and printed them out on the computer. I sprayed them with a craft waterproofing spray, about four coats both sides, it didn't work as well as I expected, expensive too.
Does anyone know what I can do to waterproof A4 printing paper using an ink jet printer ?:confused:

I use a quick drying clear polyurethane spray intended for finishing wood. It's not perfect, and it won't hold up to submersion, but it keeps the labels from running if they get a little damp.

Otherwise...what Squirrels said.

Thanks, Damn Squirrels, and thanks Yuri Rage.
Great help. Might try the wood spray. Haven't got a laser printer,,,,,yet, working on it. Seen somewhere on the post someone talking about hair spray. I'll check it out and see which one is best.

Tried the hairspray on my lables tonight. Schwarzkopf , taft. Long lasting holds in all conditions. STYLING LACQUER. I only gave them one coat, but a good soaking, both sides. Does anyone think this will work? Half a can on only six lables. It didn't leave them with any gloss, and they don't feel like they're water proofed , but I guess time will tell. Any further advice would be greatly excepted. Still can't afford a laser printer.

Has anyone tried laminating sheets? Just curious. You would have to leave a good 1/8 to 1/4" overhang on the front of the label. A little spray adhesive on the back of the label (unlaminated) would keep it in place so the rigidness of the laminated side wouldnt pull it off the bottle.

I know others have used bumper sticker stock ie vinyl stickers. You might even be able to order custom ones from cafe press and make your design tiled 3 or 4 times across one bumper sticker. Then just cut them to make separate labels. Would still probably cost around 75 cents to 1 dollar per label and they might be a smidge on the small side.

Jezza said:
Tried the hairspray on my lables tonight. Schwarzkopf , taft. Long lasting holds in all conditions. STYLING LACQUER. I only gave them one coat, but a good soaking, both sides. Does anyone think this will work? Half a can on only six lables. It didn't leave them with any gloss, and they don't feel like they're water proofed , but I guess time will tell. Any further advice would be greatly excepted. Still can't afford a laser printer.

No idea if it will work or not (I keg most of my brews) but at half a can of hair spray for every 6 labels, that laser printer's gonna start looking like a pretty good deal ;)

Back