HELP thin mash what to do??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
Mashing as we speak need to know about too thin a mash. Had to add water to bring temp up now I am at 1.5 to 1.7 qts per lb. Is this going to be a big issue?

Thanks

RDWHAHB!

You may find that your conversion takes a bit longer since the enzymes aren't as tightly packed. Then again, if you stir a few times, you might find that you get a jump in efficiency since it's easier to stir, and there's more "room" for all that sugar.

Bet your beer turns out just fine!

EDIT:
I'm reading this article right now to make sure I'm not leading you astray:
http://byo.com/feature/480.html

Not an issue, let 'er mash for an hour and have no worries... have I done a mash like that before, YEP, mashed for an hour and had 78% eff. No worries, you need to drink more my man, you are too sober!

Pol

I always end up going a bit "thin" Seems I'm afraid of overshooting my target temp and end up short then adding extra water.

My beer is great though so I wouldn't worry.

One solution (if you want in the future) is to draw off a couple quarts and heat that to 20-30 degrees over your target and return it to the mash.

Back