Ugly Fish (Two Hearted Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstev50

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Really close to the original.
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.28 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.51 %
1.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.95 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.94 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Dry hopped 10 days

I'm interested as well, I just found a place with Two Hearted on tap about a mile from my house!

My color was a bit darker than I anticipated. The flavor though, is great. Definitely will brew this again.

Brewed it at the Michigan Mashers Fall Brew Day. I had the recipe writer there to help me brew it.

Shrinking the world one brew at a time.:fro:

I'll let ya know how it goes MStev.

Just brewed up a version of this as a half batch, skipping the mash and doing 3.3 lb of light lme + specialty grains steeped for thirty minutes. The rest of the recipe is the same. OG of only 1050, but that's ok.

Had a taste, and it's fantastic. The hops seem pretty close to what I expected. I've never been happier about a beer right after the boil.

Anyway, I'll post on this thread once I have some results in late December. Cheers!

Just brewed up a version of this as a half batch, skipping the mash and doing 3.3 lb of light lme + specialty grains steeped for thirty minutes. The rest of the recipe is the same. OG of only 1050, but that's ok.

Had a taste, and it's fantastic. The hops seem pretty close to what I expected. I've never been happier about a beer right after the boil.

Anyway, I'll post on this thread once I have some results in late December. Cheers!

we are waiting? lol

The yeast is what makes or breaks a two hearted clone. You really need to harvest the yeast to get it right. Closest commercial example is wyeast 1272. Also imo the fg is too high and the ibu's are too low. Looks like a good beer though.

we are waiting? lol

Bottled last wednesday, going to crack open the first one maybe two wednesdays from now. For once I'm trying to be patient with the whole conditioning process so I can avoid that disappointing green beer experience.

I bought a bell's variety case a couple of months ago that contained Two Hearted, and I saved one specifically so I can do an authentic taste comparison.

Looking forward to it : D

Bottled last wednesday, going to crack open the first one maybe two wednesdays from now. For once I'm trying to be patient with the whole conditioning process so I can avoid that disappointing green beer experience.

I bought a bell's variety case a couple of months ago that contained Two Hearted, and I saved one specifically so I can do an authentic taste comparison.

Cool man just making sure your gonna let us know how it goes. Good call waiting. ThaT is what im doing right now as well. Stick to the 1 2 3 rule. 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks bottles or kegged. Your beer will blow your mind.

Subscribed to the thread, looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I have to travel to get Two-Hearted (I live in Sioux Falls, SD, between Kansas City and Minneapolis, and have to go to one or the other to get it... tell me how much sense that makes), so would like something that tastes somewhat close since I don't make those trips quite often. I'm relying on you! haha :)

Subscribed to the thread, looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I have to travel to get Two-Hearted (I live in Sioux Falls, SD, between Kansas City and Minneapolis, and have to go to one or the other to get it... tell me how much sense that makes), so would like something that tastes somewhat close since I don't make those trips quite often. I'm relying on you! haha :)

You're making it very tough to keep to my resolution to not open one of these until next Wednesday. : P

I had a glass during bottling once I ran out of bottles but not beer; it was a pleasant bitterness that you expect from Two Hearted, but it didn't seem to have much of that delicious aroma. I'm not quite sure how dry hop aroma develops, but hopefully it develops a bit in the bottle.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.28 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.51 %
1.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.95 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.94 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Dry hopped 10 days

Is that just steaping thAT much malt? 4.75lbs?

I finally broke down and opened a bottle of Ugly Fish.

The version I did was an extract and steeped grain version of the original recipe. I think 3.3 lb of Briess light golden was the LME. Everything was cut in half for a half batch; the pale malt was cut entirely. Grains steeped at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The hops schedule was followed the same as the original, but again, cut in half.

OG was 1050, final was 1012 or so.

Here's a gallery of shots; the pictures themselves are huge and I don't want to throw off the sizing of this thread.

http://imgur.com/a/PH9lE

At first pour, I was very impressed. Great head. Retention is fantastic; at about 3/4ths empty I still have a nice layer on top. Lacing is really good too. The color, as the OP pointed out, is a bit darker than the original.

The smell is very authentic. Not much else to say about that. My favorite part of Two Hearted is the citrus/flowery aroma between sips, and this clone doesn't let me down. The taste is authentic as well, but I feel like the original has just a bit more boldness on the aftertaste

So, my final review is an A; if you served this to me in the bar and told me it was Two Hearted Ale, I'd have no reason to disbelieve you.

Considered on its own right, this is a really good beer. I've been very reluctant to show my beer creations to friends so far, but this one I'm giving as a six pack for the holidays. Two hearted ale is the beer that got me to drinking hoppy beer, and so it's really great to have a good recipe for it. I'll definitely be back for more.

I tip my hat to you, mstev50. Thanks for the recipe.

The version I did was an extract and steeped grain version of the original recipe. I think 3.3 lb of Briess light golden was the LME. Everything was cut in half for a half batch; the pale malt was cut entirely. Grains steeped at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The hops schedule was followed the same as the original, but again, cut in half.

Here's a gallery of shots; the pictures themselves are huge and I don't want to throw off the sizing of this thread.

At first pour, I was very impressed. Great head. Retention is fantastic; at about 3/4ths empty I still have a nice layer on top. Lacing is really good too. The color, as the OP pointed out, is a bit darker than the original.

The smell is very authentic. Not much else to say about that. My favorite part of Two Hearted is the citrus/flowery aroma between sips, and this clone doesn't let me down. The taste is authentic as well, but I feel like the original has just a bit more boldness on the aftertaste

So, my final review is an A; if you served this to me in the bar and told me it was Two Hearted Ale, I'd have no reason to disbelieve you.

Considered on its own right, this is a really good beer. I've been very reluctant to show my beer creations to friends so far, but this one I'm giving as a six pack for the holidays. Two hearted ale is the beer that got me to drinking hoppy beer, and so it's really great to have a good recipe for it. I'll definitely be back for more.

HELL yah. Thats all i needed to know bout to put the stuff together for this, it will be the first batch for the new years.

I hate to be a naysayer but Two Hearted has a fruitiness from the yeast that you cannot get from such a clean yeast as you used. You either have to harvest the yeast or use wyeast american ale II 1272. Two Hearted also has a slight alcohol warmth. According to Bells website the OG is 1.064 and the abv is 7.0% which would put the FG about 1.010. That's quite a bit higher than your 5% abv which would not lend any alcohol warmth whatsoever. The original recipe posted looks a lot closer. If you put enough Centennial hops in a beer it can fool you in to thinking it is a two hearted but there are other subtleties involved. In summary the original looks close minus the yeast, daveyeah made Two Hearted's little brother instead of Two Hearted. Maybe he could call it One Hearted. By the way, Two Hearted is the only beer I have ever tried to clone, but my efforts derailed into my own IIPA (Two Hearted's big brother Three Hearted).:D

I hate to be a naysayer but Two Hearted has a fruitiness from the yeast that you cannot get from such a clean yeast as you used. You either have to harvest the yeast or use wyeast american ale II 1272. Two Hearted also has a slight alcohol warmth. According to Bells website the OG is 1.064 and the abv is 7.0% which would put the FG about 1.010. That's quite a bit higher than your 5% abv which would not lend any alcohol warmth whatsoever. The original recipe posted looks a lot closer. If you put enough Centennial hops in a beer it can fool you in to thinking it is a two hearted but there are other subtleties involved. In summary the original looks close minus the yeast, daveyeah made Two Hearted's little brother instead of Two Hearted. Maybe he could call it One Hearted. By the way, Two Hearted is the only beer I have ever tried to clone, but my efforts derailed into my own IIPA (Two Hearted's big brother Three Hearted).:D

I wouldn't deny it was Two Hearted's little brother, and that's a fair assessment overall. I'll take note of your post when I run out of my current batch. :)

Thanks daveyeah! Feedback like this is great to hear. I haven't brewed this one (or anything else) in quite a while. Hearing this review will get me going again! :mug:

It isn't an exact Two Hearted duplicate. I found the beer to taste very close to the original, just as daveyeah said. That's what I was looking for. Maybe next time I'll try 1272 for the yeast to see how that works, thanks for suggesting that. (I also used silver caps on the bottles, not the gold ones Bell's uses :D)

It isn't an exact Two Hearted duplicate. I found the beer to taste very close to the original, just as daveyeah said. That's what I was looking for. Maybe next time I'll try 1272 for the yeast to see how that works, thanks for suggesting that. (I also used silver caps on the bottles, not the gold ones Bell's uses :D)

Well you better get some gold caps next time otherwise it will never be a true clone!:p

Glad your beer turned out good. It looks pretty tasty.:mug:

Back