Amber Lager @ Ale Temps w/2112 yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time-Travelers

Reaction score
I wanted to do an amber lager clone and since I don't have the set-up (yet) to do the lagering, the lhbs suggested replacing the Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager with the Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager. ...will it work?

So, I'm guessing that after pitching the yeast, instead of fermenting at 50 for 2 weeks and lagering at 33 for another 3-5 weeks, I should ferment for (how many weeks 5-7? - fyi, temp in the basement is avg bet 64-66), then I add priming sugar and bottle? any suggestion how long it should condition?

Thank you!

That California Common yeast will be fine at your basement temperature for 10 or 15 days in primary, then let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks at ambient temps, prime and bottle as normal. It won't produce that German lager character, but will be a fine beer nonetheless. I've had good experiences with that strain in the low 60's, with a secondary conditioning of around 3 weeks prior to kegging.

For future reference, I've also gotten some nice lager-like characteristics from the Chico strain (WY1056, WLP001, US-05) when fermented in low 60's F. I did a Märzen with that method using US-05, and was very pleased.

TB

Thanks TB, when you say, secondary for a few weeks at ambient temps, are you suggesting another temp other than what I have in the basement (64-66)?

Latest posts

Back