Northern brewer session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I am looking to use up a couple ounces of whole leaf northern brewer hops in an upcoming session ale.

Any recipe recommendations for a good low gravity beer for these?

Thanks.

My brother does an awesome pale ale with northern brewer and simcoe.

SRM 7-9
og appx 1.052
IBU appx 35

Pale malt 90 %
Munich 10 L 5%
Caramunich 40 l 5%

northern brewer at 60 for about 32 IBU
1 oz good quality simcoe @ 3 minutes

If that is too malty for you; try adding a 10 minute addition of Norther brewer or willamette for an additional ounce or so.

cadillacandy said:
I love northern brewer with Vienna malt. 100% Vienna, 1oz to bitter and the rest late in the boil.

I've never brewed with Vienna.....what's it's biggest flavor profile? Also what would be the ideal Mash temp etc for a 100% grain bill?

I've never brewed with Vienna.....what's it's biggest flavor profile? Also what would be the ideal Mash temp etc for a 100% grain bill?

Vienna is kind of orange and has toasty, bready and biscuity type malt flavors. Are you familiar with Munich malt? Vienna is like a toned down version of that, in my opinion. For the 3 Vienna/NB beers I've made, I've gone with 152F for 60mins.

Anchor uses NB in their flagship steam beer. Requires a little cooler temp and a bit of lagering though. Yooper has a couple good lookin cali common recipes on her page.

Back