Need recipe direction please critique or help Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed yesterday and partigyled this:

First Mash at 153
14.5 lbs Golden Promise (Simpsons)
14.5 lbs Marris Otter (Crisp)

Resulted in 7 Gallons of wort at 1.092

I wanna go Golden Strong Ale with a Xmas twist...thinking of bringing the OG down by dilution.
By my rudimentary math knowledge of gravity, and please do tell me if I am wrong.
I have:
7 X 92 = 644 gravity points
add a pound of cane sugar (dryer finish) for 46 more points = 690 total points
and desired new gravity is 1.08 so....
690 / 8.6 Gallons = 80.2

Close enough,,,is this correct?

With 8.6 Gallons I'll split into two seperate carboys....Ferment one with Biere de Garde yeast 3725 from a yeast cake split in two, and the other I'll probably use Abbey ale 1214 (recently manufactured pack) from one liter starter...

Thinking of around 32 IBU's from Warrior hops (16% aa) 90 minute boil,,,,And 1 oz Nelson sauvin at 10 mins and again 1 oz at whirlpool.
Total 41 IBUs....

Really want that fruity nauture that the NS imparts....is this all copesthetic?

Math looks right. Looks like you'll need about 3/4 of an oz of Warrior for the 8.6 gallons. It looks tasty to me.

Math looks right. Looks like you'll need about 3/4 of an oz of Warrior for the 8.6 gallons. It looks tasty to me.

Thanks, I am looking forward to it...going to always be maxing out my mash tun size (keggle) from here on out,,,,dilution to desired gravity opens a world of possibilities and more beer....already mashing. so may as well mash all that I can...and refridgerate the wort until I can boil a day or two later.
Second running turned into a porter.... Capped the second runnings with

1lb Crystal 50-60
2lbs Crystal 80-90
1lb wheat malt
1lb munich
1lb belgian choc malt

ended up with a 7.5 gallons nice dark sweeet second runnins that was 1.045....
prob going to go US-05 with that one...hopped to about 30 ibus bittering, and slight flavor and aroma with noble hops....

Back