What is the strongest thing you brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
I was wondering what was the biggest beer you guys brewed?

What kind of grain bill? Method? How long did it have to condition?

Myself I got up to 9% with some sick candi sugar additions to a Belgian Tripel, what about you guys? :D

1.100 Russian Imperial Stout, 11% ABV. ~90ibu.

Made a 7gal batch and split it between 4 people. Three mash tuns, no sparge, 40+lbs of grain, 10gal boil. The brew day was very long, haha.

It's been conditioning for three months, some of the bitterness has subsided and it's really nice, thick with a smooth roastiness. We went for a layered roasty flavor with black malt, chocolate, pale chocolate, and chocolate wheat. The idea is to do whatever with it all and share bottles in a year. I personally decided to make a gallon of t'ej and mix it in a 1:4 ratio to make my own Bitches Brew. Another friend is going with an Abbey yeast, and a third is splitting it between oak and dry hops (and possibly spruce extract).

For beer, a 12% wee heavy (sitting on some oak cubes currently). I also have a 21% mead in process. Planning to make a big barley wine soon. That will be somewhere in the 16-25% range (still deciding on it). The wee heavy is all grain. Might need to augment the barley wine with some honey to get it in the higher range. That's why I've not yet finalized the recipe.

A 9.7% Barleywine (allgrain), was my second batch ever. I intended it to be an IIPA but it was an original recipe and I didn't know what I was doing yet. Turned out to be good Barleywine after about 3 months after aging, and fantastic after 6 months.

11% or so extract barleywine and a BGSA that I can't remember the ABV of. Come to think of it, I think I have a couple of bottles of each left that need to be drank.

I have a 10.7% barleywine I did BIAB in secondary right now for bulk aging, and if you want to count mead, I have a 21 and change % melomel aging as well. Both are amazing.

8.8% all grain Imperial IPA, turned out great but looking to push into the 9%+ mark some point this winter if the boss will allow the grain useage to do it.
If not then I guess I brew it at home.

I've got 10.6% Tripel still in primary. Overshot my OG and the yeast took it down a little farther than expected. I don't mind. I expect it to take awhile to mellow.

Strongest would be the 1.095 OG brew in the primary currently. It was suppose to be a barleywine, but will probably turn into a DIPA hop-monster.

I also had a 9.5% Belgian Strong that attenuated a bit more than I expected.

Once my mill arrives, come on Cereal Killer, I will attempt a huge RIS and hope to get it to 1.110+, but we will see how that goes...

Back