First Year Cascade & Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew2bm

Reaction score
Hello from St. Louis! This is my first year Cascade hop vine, currently at 7.5 feet. Hopefully by July the vine will reach the top of the trellis. Anyone in the area have an estimate on what to expect for a first year yield on Cascade?

Hop Trellis.jpg

I bet that the St. Louis area will make that vine produce a bunch of hops, even in the first year! That area is SO fertile! Let us know how much you harvested! Lets see pictures! :mug:

SO, my first year Cascade did very well to say the least. I limited the vertical growth to two bines, clipping away all subsequent shutes. The total growth reached a little over 14 feet, and the total harvest was 8.75 ounces:D. We had an interesting summer in St. Louis (the word "interesting" being synonymous with f*!@#$% rediculous!) Average temp for the month of July exceeded 100 degrees F, the hottest summer for St. Louis since the friggin Dust Bowl, 1934. I only have a guess that the heat stressed the plant out, causing it to go into some sort of hyper-productive state. Anyway, here are some inspiring pictures. Enjoy!

100_3534.jpg

100_3535.jpg

100_3536.jpg

100_3537.jpg

View attachment 2012-08-19 20.20.10.jpg

That is freakin' awesome! I can't wait to plant for 2013 now!

Back