Thickening an already primed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bckyrdkid420

Reaction score
I made a traditional hefenweizen that ended up way to thin... I was wondering if there was a way to thicken up the beer or am I screwed now that it's already primed in a keg? (I was thinking of steeping some oats, but not sure that would screw with the taste or even do anything for that matter!)
Thanks in advance!

matodextrine comes from refining corn starch but it is not the same chemical compound. I have used 3-4 oz (dry) of malto dissolved in warm water (after the water had been boilled). After cooling I added this to my keg and gave it a shake. Waited 2 days and then sampled. Sometimes I had to repeat this for thinner beers.

..and is Maltodextrin same as Corn Starch?
Thanks!

No- you'll have to get it from your LHBS. I think that will go a ways to getting you where you want to be. Please remember though, that carbonation and cold beer will greatly enhance your perception of the body of the beer. I would almost wait until you've had it cold and carbed to see. Hefeweizens should be carbonated very high, at least 3.5 volumes. I'd say wait until then to add any unfermentables like maltodextrin.

No- you'll have to get it from your LHBS. I think that will go a ways to getting you where you want to be. Please remember though, that carbonation and cold beer will greatly enhance your perception of the body of the beer. I would almost wait until you've had it cold and carbed to see. Hefeweizens should be carbonated very high, at least 3.5 volumes. I'd say wait until then to add any unfermentables like maltodextrin.

I misread the original post and had assumed that the beer was already carbonated and cold. I really think following the advice of waiting until the beer is carbonated and cold is the best thing to do at this point.

The simplest way is to dissolve some maltodextrin in hot water. 3-4 oz is a good place to start.

I did this for a keg of stout that ended up a little bit wattery and it works great. The change was instant. But definitely wait until it's cooled and carbed first so you have a good baseline from which to start.

Back