hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrockdave

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question. I was brewing up a Racer 5 clone last night and the LHBS had a mix of whole and pellet hops for the recipe, seeing as I was stuck with what they had, I went for it. The question is do I need to bump up the volume of the whole hops? From what I understandpellet hops are more potent. Also is there a formula to keep this in mind the next time this comes up?:confused:

I believe that whole hops are 2% less in terms of hop utilization. I believe this is across the board regardless of boil time. So if you are assuming 27% utilization for pellets in a 60 minute boil then plan to extract 25% for whole hops in the same time period. Hope this helps,
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

I've found out myself that whole leaf or "raw" hops seem to be better for flavor/aroma. Less bittering to the taste from them imo. Pellets def get out more bittering quicker.

Back