First time StarSan user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Iodine to sanitize since I began brewing but recently bought some StarSan thinking that it might make my routine easier. It seems to be the thing on which most home brewers agree.

I washed my bottling bucket as usual and then applied StarSan (appropriately mixed with water) from a spray bottle. I noticed a slick-looking film on the top of the beer when transfer was complete. Is that normal? Also...how long do I need to let the StarSan dry? (not how long does it need contact but how wet can the surface be before making contact with beer?) And last, is StarSan really odorless/tasteless? Seems like there was a lot in the bucket....

I use starsan all the time ... Spray it on and let sit for 30 seconds or more (don't let it dry), then drain any free liquid off. If you're soaking, just soak for 30 seconds or more, then drain the liquid. The foam won't add any flavors, etc.

StarSan, like JetDry, applies a coating to the container that will kill head retention. Rinse before transferring your brew in, but do it quickly, and in a sanitary fashion.

gypsyhead said:
StarSan, like JetDry, applies a coating to the container that will kill head retention. Rinse before transferring your brew in, but do it quickly, and in a sanitary fashion.

If you do decide to rinse StarSan from your equipment, do it with boiled, sanitized water. However, I've been using StarSan without rinsing for 15 batches and have not noticed any negative effects whatsoever. It's quick and easy and doesn't visibly stain like iodine can.

gypsyhead said:

I never rinse because unless u boil the water thats pointless and if you do it is extra work. Many times i dont even bother getting all the foam out. I have zero issues with head retention.

I never rinse because unless u boil the water thats pointless and if you do it is extra work. Many times i dont even bother getting all the foam out. I have zero issues with head retention.
I don't bother getting all the foam out either. Don't even know how you would, without rinsing, and then you just defeated the purpose of using the star san.

Don't fear the foam.
Besides, I hear it's good for the yeasties. <-- (That's just what I've heard. I have absolutely nothing to back that up.) :p

timdsmith72 said:
I don't bother getting all the foam out either. Don't even know how you would, without rinsing, and then you just defeated the purpose of using the star san.

Don't fear the foam.
Besides, I hear it's good for the yeasties. <-- (That's just what I've heard. I have absolutely nothing to back that up.) :p

If the foam really bothers you and your are using a pale you can get it out by turning it over and smacking the sides and bottom a few times. I only do it if there is a lot, usually there isnt.

If the foam really bothers you and your are using a pale you can get it out by turning it over and smacking the sides and bottom a few times. I only do it if there is a lot, usually there isnt.
Yeah. I only see a lot when I use a carboy or better bottle. When I use a bucket, I just spray it good with my spray bottle, so there is little to no foam.

Edited to say: The foam doesn't bother me a bit.

I've been using StarSan for a while. One big difference from iodine is the tendency for the SS to foam. I normally soak (rather than spray) and I usually add the SS to a full bucket of water to avoid a lot of foam. I use the same techniques for avoiding oxygenation when transferring wort (like siphoning) to avoid foaming when moving the solution into other containers.

gypsyhead said:

I use a no-rinse (starsan) method for all my brews and never experience a lack of head on my beer. The foaming agent should affect headretention at all.

I always have the slick film, even with a weak star san mix in buckets never used with hops. It's normal

Thanks, that answers my question.

Thanks for all of the input. StarSan did make it a bit easier since I didn't have to soak everything. It'll also save gallons and gallons of water and as someone with firm ethical and moral commitments to social responsibility that's an added bonus.

Dont forget u can reuse it. Mix up a few gallons in a pale, seal it up. Once you swish it around whatever, pour it back in and seal back up. Put some in a spray bottle for quick stuff like spoons, airlocks, etc.

Back