Water Filter - Need some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jholen

Reaction score
Searched the forums a bit for water filters, and came up with some links/topics however a number of them are a bit outdated.

It looks like you can put together a water filter from Lowes/Home Depot for just around $60 or so, give or take $10 (seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/ ) - however on one of those threads someone linked to www.buckeyefieldsupply.com - they appear to be involved in aquariums and providing filtered water for fish tanks.

Specifically, if you check out: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=216&Sub=130

They seem to have some decent water filters which look pretty appealing. Especially considering the ones linked on that page can be bought for much less than assembling one from Lowes/Home Depot. Any thoughts on the above linked filters? Anyone experience with BuckEyeFieldSupply? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Chloramine Special RODI.

Thanks,
J

These appear to be reverse osmosis/deionized units. If you're brewing extract, you should be fine. If you're brewing all grain, you'll need to add minerals back to the water before using for brewing.

Also, the link to buckeyefieldsupply appears to be for only the filter refills ... the unit itself is here: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=168&Sub=166

One other thing to consider with these units is the flow rate and backflush frequency. Most household RO units have a fairly slow flow rate (many use a storage tank).

Personally, I use only a carbon block filter (morebeer). My water has chloramines, but I find a slow flow rate through my filter helps to reduce them to undetectable levels.

Doh!

You're right on those only being refills. Missed that.

Good point about that filter stripping the minerals away.. definitely not something that I'd want to do.

So you're pretty satisfied with the filter from MoreBeer?

I use a two filter under the sink unit made by Omni-Filter... Had it installed soon after moving into my current apartment. Filters are not that expensive, neither are the units. I typically use a 2 micron first filter, with a .5 micron second filter. Pulls out all the things you don't want, but leaves just a little of what you probably want. Flow rate is really good too. Especially when the filters are still fairly new (just changed them earlier this week)... You can find Omni-Filter online, and probably at Home Depot (that's where I got mine several years back).

I used the culligan under sink filter that they sell on Amazon for 20 bucks. Comes with a cheap filter and the good ones are only 10 bucks.

So you're pretty satisfied with the filter from MoreBeer?

Yeah ... the filter works great. You can find these canister filters pretty much anywhere. I opted for the morebeer filter as it has 1/2 NPT connections (most have 3/4 connections) and it has a clear housing. Also, morebeer sells replacement carbon block filters for ~$8 ... as cheap or cheaper than I saw anywhere else.

Yeah ... the filter works great. You can find these canister filters pretty much anywhere. I opted for the morebeer filter as it has 1/2 NPT connections (most have 3/4 connections) and it has a clear housing. Also, morebeer sells replacement carbon block filters for ~$8 ... as cheap or cheaper than I saw anywhere else.
Thanks for the feedback.

Did you ever brew before when you did not have the filter, and did you notice any off-flavors? (I guess what I'm getting at is why did you invest in a filter in the first place?) My wife detected (her palate is quite good) some sanitizer type taste in my first batch, and I assured her it was not starsan. After some research I'm guessing it was probably due to chlorine in our city water. That is why I'm looking into getting something to filter out the chlorine.

When I brewed extract, I filled bottles at the store ... After going to grain, I picked up a filter so I wouldn't have to buy spring water (has minerals, but is $$$). I've never used unfiltered tap water for brewing, since they add chloramines to our water. If you're tasting off flavors, definitely look into a filter ...

I'll also admit that I used a regular garden hose to get my water (I know, I wasn't even thinking of it). Funny considering I was so caraeful with cleaning/sanitation for everything else, yet used water from a regular garden hose - Doh! So I'm planning on picking up a white RV drinking water hose to use for supplying my water (I brew on a back balcony in an apartment, so carrying water from the sink to the back balcony is a pain - hence the hose).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the off-taste is from the garden hose, but figure that when I switch over the white RV drinking water hose I'd put a filter on the end of it anyways. Why take any chances, ya know? Sounds like I'll just look into building that filter from Lowes - if I went with the one from MoreBeer it sounds like I'd need hose adapters.

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully other noobs can learn from my mistakes!

Pur filters have a mineral pur which filters and adds minerals. I dont care how they praise of leaving flouride in your water though

Back