Brewday collaboration and swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the spirit of the great HBT brew swap I was wondering if you all have ever done a collaboraded brew day and then swaped a few 22 ouncers after the brew is ready.
Here is my thought..
get together with a brew partner here on HBT someone that brews about the same as you ie. AG vs Extract, 12,10 or 5 gallon batches etc through back and forth a recipe idea untill you both agree on the recipe, the style and the process. agree to buy your ingredients at the same outlet (internet B3 or whatever) plan to brew on the same day, then let the brew take over. when its done say 4 to 6 weeks later and all is well you send a few 22oz to your brew partner and you taste test side by side yours and theres on the same day.

any thoughts???
cheers:mug:
JJ

Well, this past weekend I told my neighbor I brewed my own while we were cutting down his HUGE silver leaf maple. Throughout the morning he asked questions about it. So, by the end of the day I had a couple of my american ambers chilled down inside the house. I gave him one and he said that this was one of the best brews he's ever tasted. Sure, I'm willing to bet he's a dedicated BMC drinker, but he really liked it. He told me to holler at him when I brew my next batch, which will be this weekend. He's been asking about how much for a start up cost. I think he's thinking it at least. Anyway, it made my day. First compliment besides my wife!!! I'll take it!!!

That is basically what our brewclub does with our annual big brew. We produce about 100 gallons of wort in a single batch. Each member takes home 5 or 10 gallons of wort and pitches whatever yeast they choose. A couple months later everyone brings a couple bottles to one of our meetings and we compare what people have done with the wort. These will be pitched with a wide variety of yeasts from California Ale yeast to various belgian yeasts. Some will be fermented as ales and others as lagers. Some will be dry hopped and others may have other post boil adjuncts added (vanilla beans, oak chips, bourbon, etc.). It is amazing at the wide variety of great beers that can come out of the same brewpot. We generally pick out big brew grain bill with the idea in mind that folks will be doing different things with it.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Well, a bunch of us have all independantly brewed the 777 Rye IPA recipe. Once everybody's is all done, it would be really nice to see those bottles make their way across the country to people. Not quite the same as brewing together (which I love doing, there are a few HBT folks coming to the house on Sunday), but it's great to get beer from my buddies across the country.

well here is my system in a nutshell I can brew 10 to 12 gallon AG batches I have temp controlled fermentation. I am willing to do single infusion ( I just did decoction wednesday WAY to much work for now) I ahve never batch sparged but I can try that. I would be looking for someone else that buys there ingredients off the web (cause im not going to travel to your LHBS) to make sure we start with the same exact stuff. I am in no hurry it may take a month to get all the 411 together and schedual the day. So Dan do you do AG?? can you do a full wort boil on 10 to 12 gallons?

I think it will be a blast to see the different beers come out of this.
Cheers
JJ

I do AG, but don't have the capacity to brew 10+ gallons yet. I'm still trying to find a keg to convert. I do buy over the web (normally AHB). Sounds like you have a better setup than I do with temp control. My garage and house are steady at 62 and 72 respectively which works for just about everything I brew. I'm still working out the kinks in my AG stuff though. Last time I brewed I got 55% efficiency..due to possibly a bad crush from AHB. It's the only variable that I didn't have control over.

Dan

dan
If you ever get to the Redding area let me know I can get you a keg used and out of service from Sierra Nevada for $25.00 and I have a plasma cutter here at my house we can convert it for you in seconds. on that note I am sure shipping would be an arm and a leg but if you want I can see about shipping you one.

JJ

jaybird said:
dan
If you ever get to the Redding area let me know I can get you a keg used and out of service from Sierra Nevada for $25.00 and I have a plasma cutter here at my house we can convert it for you in seconds. on that note I am sure shipping would be an arm and a leg but if you want I can see about shipping you one.

JJ
It's funny you say that...we are staying in redding for a night on our way down to California...and will be taking the 5 back up as well...we could probably stop in a pick one up. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks

Dan

Back