Trub in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nediver

Reaction score
I made a Tripel IPA last night. I was using a new brew kettle with a SS Braid screen and kept getting stuck. So I ended up siphoning off the top and straining the rest. There was lots of hop material and break material that ended up in the fermenter.

I normally rack into secondary anyway for clarity, can I do this after the trub settles?

How long should I wait?

What do others do to minimize break/hop material going into fermenter? (I am thinking about using hop bags next time)

I just tried a hop bag for the first time. My last brew I clogged up my siphon tap with hop and break material. This time I didn't have any clogging and the primary had much less grub and hops, so I'm a fan of the hop bag at this point. I am interested in any other techniques. Anyone using keggle false bottoms with a siphon tap having trouble with pellet hops clogging? I've heard I should be using a hop bag there as long as I'm using pellet hops.

Do pellet hops work well in a hop bag? I use a slotted pick up tube in my BK which is not compatible with pellets. The only time I used them was a clusterf*ckeria. I would like to use them because of the greater variety available at the homebrew shop. Any issues with utilization or anything else to watch out for?

Don't know just yet, I brewed yesterday with pellet hops in a bag for the first time. I like the cleanup and less hop mess in the kettle, but I won't know about utilization for a while. I've read both ways, some say it affects it others say they can't tell.

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I've had success in just dumping everything from my boil kettle right into the carboy, save for the real dense hop sludge. I used to use a colander, but that just got clogged too quickly, so when I put the brew pot back on the stove to clear the clog, the trub just got sloshed around and eventually mixed in with the wort ... so now I just say "screw it" and dump it all in, then transfer to a keg after 12-14 days in the primary.

Everything settles out in time, so there are no worries.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

That's a nice move resting on the immersion coils. I'm gonna give that a try next time. Thanks!

I'm with hoplobster. If I'm going to be short on my final volume, I'll just dump all the crud into the fermenter. Most of it will settle out in a week. If I'm dry hopping, I'll transfer to a secondary and when I do that, I put a 5 gallon hop bag around the wracking cain as a filter to keep the gunk out and I can transfer most of the liquid and leave the trub behind.

I do 10 gal batches with two 6 gal carboys, and usually one carboy gets all the trub/sludge from the boil kettle, whereas the other one only gets clear wort. I've tracked the two carboys throughout the process, and never noticed a difference between the "trubby" one and the "clear" one....so I've stopped worrying about trub.

Back