Denver Bulk Buy #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverfrontbrewer

Reaction score
According to the email I just received from Jason, the only grains being offered are 2 row, red & white wheat. Delivery is yet to be determined, and pre paying will be madatory.

Chris,

We have 2-row & malted white and red wheat...whole order over 1000 lbs.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jason K. Cody

We will need 1000 lbs to place the order, and then it will be .60 per, plus a delivery fee. He did not give me a delivery price. I am still quite unsure about doing this order from CMC again, but I wanted to at least get this thread going to gauge interest and possibly let someone else take the reins and run it.

Nateo- Good question, I actually had to look at the website to see what you were talking about, I would ASSume that he knows we want a malted base grain, but I am sending him an email to confirm.

Try to find someone participating in the buy to split a bag. You can store 25 lbs of wheat in a homer bucket.

When I sent him an email on 9/20 requesting a delivery date and asking him how he would like to deal w prepayments (CC/Check/Cash), the only response I recd was a "Let's do it!". Since I knew that we all needed a solid delivery date and payment instructions I have been waiting for him to actually provide that information. So, at this point, I would say this is dead on the vine until he decides he needs our homebrew business and contacts me again.

If somebody else want to try to pick this up, feel free.

Thanks

So the count looks like 2300Lbs, seems like that should be enough to do a bulk buy somewhere else if we cant get CMC to help out. Its only $1380 in buisiness, I couldnt imagine a such a huge company needing our piddly order.
Anyone have ideas of where else we can get a bulk buy set up?

the only response I recd was a "Let's do it!".

That sounds like he's willing to help us out. Maybe he gets a lot of emails and doesn't read them very closely. I've dealt with a lot of wholesalers, and you really shouldn't expect the same customer service level you get with a retailer. That's why the retailer can charge twice as much. Also, how can he know a delivery date when we haven't paid and placed the order?

That sounds like he's willing to help us out. Maybe he gets a lot of emails and doesn't read them very closely. He should, he is in the sales business. I've dealt with a lot of wholesalers, and you really shouldn't expect the same customer service level you get with a retailer. That's why the retailer can charge twice as much.Then he shouldn't have contacted ME looking for our next order after he basically told us to phuck off previously Also, how can he know a delivery date when we haven't paid and placed the order?
I tried to get him to commit to coming to Denver with a 4 week lead time since several of the Denverites won't/can't purchase before knowing the delivery date so they can get off work, get a babysitter, whatever.....seems like common sense to me.

Again if someone wants to contact him and try to put together a buy, feel free. I assume he will email me again when business slows down and he NEEDS the homebrew crowd.

I was just in the Valley and picked up 100 lbs of 2-row. Has anyone looked into the legality of picking up a bulk order? I could get a truck and might be willing to do this if I could get enough other brewers. Sorry if this has already been discused.
Clinton

3 Guys-

I dont think this has been discussed. I am sure it would be an option since it keeps him from having to deliver it. The only small issue would be that he won't sell onsite, he has to meet you in town somewhere so you would have to transfer xxxx lbs from his truck to yours. This was my experience anyway. He said that if they sell on site it would be retail then they would have to pass healh dept food grade inspections.

What do you think it would cost you to pick up 50 sacks (2500lbs) of grain and bring them back?

If this does happen, and I'm not too late, I would be interested in 50# of pale. After getting a bad crush from my LHBS, I decided that a grain mill was going to be the next item added to my equipment set.

FYI

recd another email from Jason this eve, it appears he is now ready to do a sale, if anyone wants to contact him and put one together feel free.

Think I'm going to pass on this. Brew Hut has Two-Row for $45, and they are responsive and treat me with respect.

They deserve my business and loyalty. Jason doesn't seem to care, isn't responsive, and really doesn't deserve either.

I'll stick with the Brew Hut. They're good people.

Think I'm going to pass on this. Brew Hut has Two-Row for $45, and they are responsive and treat me with respect.

They deserve my business and loyalty. Jason doesn't seem to care, isn't responsive, and really doesn't deserve either.

I'll stick with the Brew Hut. They're good people.

I guess that depends on your definition of good. They did ask Jason not to sell direct to homebrewers during the last buy. They said they would stop selling his grain if he did sell direct. Jason does not respond well to threats. He sold to us anyway.

I really don't see what the big problem is. Jason is in business selling grain. His main clientele has always been the micro or brewpub market. He was good enough to allow homebrewers to buy grain from him. Would Briess, Rahr or Muntons? He even delivered rather than shipping. This was going out of his way.

So we got spoiled and now expect this level of service when he is maxing out his capacity? His constant and larger clients need to be serviced first. Then if he has excess capacity, the homebrew market.

I like Jason and his product. I would rather deal with him then most of the homebrew shops I have been in. I got more attitude from The Brew Hut than from anyplace in town. I, personally, will never buy from them.

Back