Looking to make kegerator from mini refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigrigney

Reaction score
I know how annoying it is for repeat questions on this forum. I have searched and searched and am growing frustrated. I want to make my own kegerator out of a mini refrigerator, and I am not sure which mini frige to buy. I of course want to keep my costs down, hopefully less than $200 for the mini frige. I searched for the "flavor of the month" on here for the popular mini frige to convert, but it appears to be no current consensus. There were several popular models, but I think they may have gone out of stock. All the possibilities I have looked at have either a thermostat controller on the top, or a freezer across the top. Anyone have any suggestions? A full size frige and chest freezer are out. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with this one is I am set on a two tap tower, so it appears this option is out. See what I mean...it gets so discouraging. I hate to purchase a pre-made kegerator due to cost and wanting to do it myself, but I feel I am running out of options. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with this one is I am set on a two tap tower, so it appears this option is out. See what I mean...it gets so discouraging. I hate to purchase a pre-made kegerator due to cost and wanting to do it myself, but I feel I am running out of options. Any other ideas?

why is this out?? you can run a dual head tower, with 2 cornies inside. You just have to move the thermostat/light not a big deal.

Thanks guys. I will search for instructions for the Danby. The only concern I had was the picture made it look like the controls were right on top, where I want to put the tower. This is the reason why I ruled out the frigidaire. The other posting said on the top was the coolant, and a tower would be too risky. Marty, did you find instructions for the Danby? If so, can you reply with the link. Thanks for the link at walmart. The conversion kit I found is from kegconnection, and this would make my total cost under $400 which would be great. Thanks for both of your input.

I found these instructions on kegkits.com
Danby Homebrew Kegerator

Here's another set for a different Danby. But basically the same layout.
Kegerator at Ronblog

Yes, the control is in the front/center. But it looks like things work fine by placing the tower a little further back. I'm tall with long arms, so that works fine for me. And plenty of room for a larger drip tray to hold a pitcher.

Just wanted to add a little more into this. I dont know if you have already purchased a fridge but wine coolers work really well. They are basically a mini fridge but have no freezer in them cool to 39F (perfect) and can be found used all over the place. I picked one up in new condition for $50 and it works really well. Fits two cornies in it (could fit a third 3 gal also), I put a nice two tap tower on it and the CO2 is outside (Lasts longer that way anyway). It will get my by until I upgrade.

What model of wine cooler did you get? I see them from time to time, and they seem to be a cool option for conversion.

What model of wine cooler did you get? I see them from time to time, and they seem to be a cool option for conversion.

Lets see, im not sure of the model and there are a couple of them. But it was one of the 35 bottle wine fridges. They really do work well, compared to minifridges they can be found on websites like craigslist for super cheap because people buy them and just dont use them. I love it, bought a nice double tap tower and its a good looking kegerator (glass front and everything).

Converted the Frigidaire from Lowes into a two tap tower (pics in that thread linked on the second post of this thread I believe). Drilling through the top of this fridge is a complete breeze with no need to search for any coolant lines and it's ALL plastic and insulating foam!

Anyway, good luck man! I originally wanted to do the Danby, but my local Wally world didn't carry it so i'd have to order it and I was impatient and wanted to pick it up at the store so with Lowes I was able to do that no problem...plus this one has a locking mechanism to keep it closed.

I'd say the only negative is the tower is a bit forward though it's not a deal breaker.

I think the majority of the Walmarts use the site-to-store for their Danby fridges.

I picked up my DAR440BL on Thursday from my local Nebraska Furniture Mart. They had it on sale for $163 and had it in stock.

I think the majority of the Walmarts use the site-to-store for their Danby fridges.

+1

The Danby was was going to be my first choice but I couldn't see it in person. That's why I went with the one at Lowe's. I think both would make excellent choices and the converts are similar.

Stay away from the ones where you have to bend the metal freezer out of the way. Too risky.

Be sure and do your research (there's a lot of great advise and knowledge on HBT), have a plan, and get all your beer's in a row before you purchase. Don't want to be forced to buy a second.

I just kicked down for the Danby. My current kegerator is working ok, but I think it's working harder than it should to keep the temperature.....and I can only fit one keg in it. I'll keep it for potentially lagering in keg or something. I ALMOST got a scratch and dent kegerator at Menards for 3 bills, but I didn't like the tower. The fridge sure was roomy, though!

I found these instructions on kegkits.com
Danby Homebrew Kegerator
Damn! Where were those instructions when I converted mine????

IMG_0770.JPG

2961-BeerTower.jpg

2961-TowerKegs.jpg

Pretty much no fridges can have the freezer removed. The freezer is what cools the whole thing down.
I had to go with a wine cooler, rather than a couple mini fridges that I have laying around. Only problem is my cooler only cools to 40* and for some reason my beer only gets to 48ish

Back