Aeration ales v lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
Friend of mine said that aerating lagers is important prior to pitching yeast but not an issue with ales.... I thought it was universal... Thoughts?

Not so fast David_42 . Danstar's Nottingham product sheet say's aeration is unnecessary. Since you are not propagating the yeast they do not need O2

All depends on the yeast type so you really need to read the directions for the yeast used .

Not so fast David_42 . Danstar's Nottingham product sheet say's aeration is unnecessary. Since you are not propagating the yeast they do not need O2

All depends on the yeast type so you really need to read the directions for the yeast used .

Interesting, I've never really looked at that yeast before.

They are recommending pitching rates of 1 gram per liter, presumably for a normal strength wort (12 degrees Plato). I can't recall any of the home brewing dry yeast proponents talking about pitching that much yeast. It seems that people think one 11 gram packet per 5 gallons is more than sufficient in that case.

From my understanding of the growth phase (O2-dependant) for yeast reproduction, aerration also helps the yeast adapt to their new environment, not just replicate. Therefore, aerration is important, even in ales. Am I wrong?

Back