Beer style that goes well with KFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
I have a mean hankering for some KFC extra crispy, and there is a great liquor store with a good beer selection right down the street from the KFC, so I was thinking of going and picking up some commercial beer and some KFC chicken. Any suggestions as to what I should pick up at the liquor store?

chicken and beer.....hmm. id say an american style ale would be my pick. i dont really eat KFC though. everytime someone does god kills a baby

I vote for anything with LOTS of hops. A hoppy pale ale, or IPA would be my choice. :mug:

Oh, and when you get down to the biscuits switch to a super cold lager to wash it all down!

I have to differ with the majority of the suggestions and say that I think a can (yes a can) of Belhaven Draught Scottish Ale would be just the ticket to give a nice sweet compliment to the salty savory chicken.

Who else beside the "fry anything" Scots would make the perfect compliment to the Col.'s finest?

my ¢2.

I have to differ with the majority of the suggestions and say that I think a can (yes a can) of Belhaven Draught Scottish Ale would be just the ticket to give a nice sweet compliment to the salty savory chicken.

Who else beside the "fry anything" Scots would make the perfect compliment to the Col.'s finest?

my ¢2.

That sounds good too, but the frying Germans might beg to differ.

A malty Vienna lager might be the ticket along the same lines as your suggestions. You can easily find some Sam Adams Boston Lager in a pinch.
I think Guinness would work well too.

Well I posed the conjecture and decided to go with some berkshire brewing company "Shabadoo" Black & Tan Ale. It was good, I also got a bottle of their gold spike ale, but decided to go with something with a little more substance so the beer wouldn't be overwhelmed by the greasyness of the chicken and potato wedges.

All in all a horrible indulgence on my part, this was the first time I actually had fast food in about 6 months, but KFC got stuck in my brain because one of my pregnant co-workers won't stop talking about it... apparently she is having the craving, and all the talk about it makes me want it...

Oooh damn. Pregnant cravings by transitive thought-osmosis. Those are some *really* strong cravings.

Never heard of Berkshire brewing, but I'm all the way over here in this corn field, we don't get many of these fancy imports here. These days Rogue is starting to come down in price though, was $8 for a 22oz, now we're down to $6!

Glad the junk food run worked out well for ya. I've been craving cheeseburgers all week, but instead I had ramen for lunch Monday, and some soup for lunch yesterday.

Tom Tucker: "What kind of soup you want, Ollie?"
Ollie: "CHUNKY!"

I always do the Popeye's Spicy and have found that just about ANY beer goes well.

I haven't done KFC in about a year, but this thread was giving me a craving UNTIL you mentioned Popeye's...I don't think I've had Popeye's in 5 or 6 years.... (I wonder if I can find one close enough to Port Huron...)

*DROOL*

I'm thinking a nice hoppy IPA....Either Bell's Two Hearted or Founders Centennial IPA.

I think Popeye's biscuits are way better than KFC's. Now I'm cravin' both them mofos.
The KFC down the street from my work does a all-you-can-eat Lunch buffet for $7. Chicken, mashed taters, biscuits, gravy, veggies, mmmmmmm.

I thought there was a Pope-yes in Port Huron. I remember driving by it on my way to Ontario. (Nope. Closest one is down by Clinton, between Hwy 59 and 97. I must've been remembering a KFC.)

Also - one more post till 6666 Revvy! :eek:

Every single time (no exaggeration) I have KFC I end up with a belly ache and feeling like poo. I just fry my own chicken nowadays... and a APA goes great with it...

Tall boy of High Life. Not a regular can, it has to be a tall boy.

Seriously, I think Märzen or Vienna lagers go best with fried chicken. The wee heavy or Scotch ale would come in second for me. Those styles flavors and mouthfeels just work very well together.

I'd say something slightly hoppy (APA has been mentioned) to help cut through the heavy oil.

I do understand the KFC hankering, it is a thing of memory like many food cravings. When I was a kid, a KFC night was rare and therefore 'special' in a sense. We grew up on mostly game and veggies from the garden. TV dinners in all their processed, oversalted, flavor enhanced glory were 'special' as well. We usually had those when mom and dad left us with the babysitter.

Arrrgh according to Popeye's store locator, all the stores are down here by where I work (Detroit) which means they're at the beginning of my commute home....the chicken will be Ice cold by the time I get to my IPA....

Maybe I should settle for KFC tonight...or bring a cooler to work tomorrow?

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits Restaurants Locator

Arrrgh according to Popeye's store locator, all the stores are down here by where I work (Detroit) which means they're at the beginning of my commute home....the chicken will be Ice cold by the time I get to my IPA....

Maybe I should settle for KFC tonight...or bring a cooler to work tomorrow?

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits Restaurants Locator

I actually prefer it cooled down. Not cold, like from the fridge. At room temp the fats and oils have had a chance to thicken a bit and stick to the meat. And the pepper spice they use has had a chance to permeat the flesh more.

To take it up a notch, get some "ABC" or "Yeo's" Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. "Maggi" - Sos Chili Manis is the best but is hard to find stateside.

I actually prefer it cooled down. Not cold, like from the fridge. At room temp the fats and oils have had a chance to thicken a bit and stick to the meat. And the pepper spice they use has had a chance to permeat the flesh more.

To take it up a notch, get some "ABC" or "Yeo's" Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping. "Maggi" - Sos Chili Manis is the best but is hard to find stateside.

You're killing me :D .....I may have to do it tonight...I can put it near the heater to keep it warmish and tease me all the way home...

Damn bro, you commute all the way to Detroit and back? Am I mis-remembering the drive, or isn't that like 2 hours each way? Maybe it's closer to an hour... That's not as bad, many people commute from Lincoln to Omaha or vice versa each day, and that's an hour.

As far as keepin' it warm... may I suggest what the "pros" at Domino's use? Heating Element Bag :p

Edit: Or - It's winter, the IPA will stay cold in the car.... Eat it quick while it's hot? ;) :D

Damn bro, you commute all the way to Detroit and back? Am I mis-remembering the drive, or isn't that like 2 hours each way? Maybe it's closer to an hour... That's not as bad, many people commute from Lincoln to Omaha or vice versa each day, and that's an hour.

As far as keepin' it warm... may I suggest what the "pros" at Domino's use? Heating Element Bag :p

Edit: Or - It's winter, the IPA will stay cold in the car.... Eat it quick while it's hot? ;) :D

It's an hour each way on a good day, 90 minutes at the worst...

THat bag is cheaper than I thought it would be...hmmm....

I know that meijer's has non heatable versions of the insulated pizza bag as well...

I may wait, and bring one of my coolers tomorrow, and get it on the way home....THat is if this damn thread doesn't drive me into a cravings frenzy. :D

You know - I never got as far as pioneering the fried cheeseburger. Now I have a purpose again.

SWMBO will want to know why I'm getting yet *MORE* fryer oil at the store on the way home tonight. I might have to buy her some mozz sticks as bait.

You know - I never got as far as pioneering the fried cheeseburger. Now I have a purpose again.

SWMBO will want to know why I'm getting yet *MORE* fryer oil at the store on the way home tonight. I might have to buy her some mozz sticks as bait.

If I had a deep fat fryer in my house, I would be on my third heart attack by now.

If I had a deep fat fryer in my house, I would be on my third heart attack by now.

This.

I'd be twice the size I am now, and it'd all be because of funnel cakes. With cinnamon. Oh, and powdered sugar. Twice the size of fat is huge, and that'd be bad.

Mmmmm. Funnel cakes. [insert Homer Simpson drooling here]

I used to frequent a bar that deep fried their burgers. Somewhere along the line their grill malfunctioned and they never bothered to fix it. Needless to say, this place was not known for it's haute cuisine.

These "burgers" were shaped like a slightly flattened torpedo and served on a hoagie roll. They usually weren't too bad. Sometimes the oil-temp/time-in ratio went wrong and they'd come out crusty but raw in the middle.

It was a college crowd. As long as the beer flowed, nobody cared.

if i had a deep fat frier at my house i would be dropping sandwhiches and anything else i could get my hands on into that thing. Breaded and deep freid manwhich anyone?

As for popeyes- much better than KFC unfotunatly there arnt any popeys out here that ive seen :(.....

mickeys_wall03_1024x768.jpg

I wish I were baked. Right now, I'm just cold, sober, and at work. :(

As for the deep fat fryer. SWMBO had a long-standing ban on them, for both of our health's sake. Then, her aunt gave us her old one. We couldn't really say no, she drove the damn thing up from Kansas. And I *did* want one.

We have been trying to "behave" ourselves with it. We *do* fry french fries to go with dinner sometimes, because let's be honest, who doesn't LOVE golden, crispy, fresh fries? And we've been doing some fried clams and shrimp, and the occaisonal mozzerella sticks. But we've been trying to keep it in order somehow. :p

As far as the deep-fried burger.... I applaud the patty - I fried a number of patties when I worked at DQ. Hot dogs too - there's something damned delicious about golden, crispy, fried hot dogs. But, um. I was talking about the whole F*ing thing. Buns, burger, cheese and all. THAT'S why I haven't perfected it yet. ;)

Back