stopping the hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
the setup i have for my hops is a center pole with twine coming down on 4 sides for the hops to climb. my cascade is already to the top (12 feet). to prevent it from tangling with the others can i cut off the growth bud to stop it from getting taller or will this hurt the plant?/

thanks

Commercial growers use 18' poles and let them bush out a little at the top. That's where they make most of their cones.

Whats crazy is that i've got about 30 cones or so and my bine is 7 ft. It seems that the growth tip is budding into a cone itself.

You could cut it off and that would stop it from growing, it won't hurt the plant (you may get less production than you would otherwise, but better less production, than having your varieties mixed up). The plant will probably send off more side runners after you snip the tip.

You could cut it off and that would stop it from growing, it won't hurt the plant (you may get less production than you would otherwise, but better less production, than having your varieties mixed up). The plant will probably send off more side runners after you snip the tip.

Something happened to the tip of my Mt. Hood. it looks like it got its tip burned off. Will it continue to grow up or has its upward growth been thwarted and I have to wait for the smaller bines to catch up?

Something happened to the tip of my Mt. Hood. it looks like it got its tip burned off. Will it continue to grow up or has its upward growth been thwarted and I have to wait for the smaller bines to catch up?

i have noticed if the tip gets damaged the plants will send sidearms out and the will start to vine up and take over.

If the side bines are out then you should be fine. Don't cut the tops again.
let them tangle with the others. This will feep them from sliding down when they get top heavy.
hopboy

Taller next year I suppose? I'm thinking of 20' poles for next year.
lots of things to think about when getting above the 14' tall level. ladders. pruning, wind load, ect

Commercial growers use 18' poles and let them bush out a little at the top. That's where they make most of their cones.

mine are 18' to the cables they were 25' poles. This is a lot of work...Fun but a lot of work.

Back