Winter Seasonal Beer Buffalo Sweat Clone; Pumpkin and Vanilla Bean versions as well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 70
Tasting Notes
Very balanced flavor and aroma of pumpkin pie spices, with an oatmeal cream stout.
Buffalo Sweat Clone - base recipe

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 7.75-lbs.-Briess-Pale-Ale-
-- 1-lbs.-English-Roasted-Barley-
-- 1-lbs.-German-Vienna-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Flaked-Oats-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Briess-Victory-
-- 0.375-lbs.-English-Black-Malt

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 156° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 168° F for 10 minutes

Boil
-- 0.5-lbs.-Lactose-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-Glacier-(60-min)-
-- 0.25-oz.-Willamette-(5-min)

Yeast to be pitched at 67 degrees

Let this ferment down to 1.020 or 1.018.

This is a very easy drinking oatmeal cream stout and you will be surprised how many BMC friends end up really enjoying this one.

If you only plan to brew the base recipe, stop reading here and enjoy that beer! Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pumpkin Version

After reaching FG of around 1.020 to 1.018, these additions will be added when transferring to secondary to create the pumpkin taste.

1/2-Tablespoon of ground Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2-teaspoon of ground Allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-cinnamon stick
2.5-cloves
Either 1/2 vanilla bean or you can use 1/2 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

Here are more notes from Tallgrass head brewer Andrew Hood:
"I primed that beer with brown sugar. What you can also do is add in a roasted 4lbs Heirloom pumpkin. To prepare it all you would do is cut it in half. Get all the snot and seeds out. Take a cookie sheet and layer it with tinfoil. Put the pumpkin half’s face down. Bake the pumpkin for 60-90min at 300-320F. You want the starches in the pumpkin to convert over to sugar just like in the Mash Tun. A great indication is seeing the top of the pumpkin start to collapse and making sure its soft from the outside in. You can either boil with the pumpkin, use it in fermentation or mash in with it. I’ve used it in all parts of the brewing process."

I personally did not add the whole pumpkin, but instead used the spices which is what Andrew Hood did.

I have brewed this once and it was fantastic. This is very well received around the holidays, craft beer drinker or not. The spices make this beer very complex, but not overwhelming. There is a link at the bottom to my original brew and others who have brewed this. Let us know how it turns out and if you have any questions! Cheers :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pumpkin-buffalo-sweat-clone-441026/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vanilla Bean Version

Soak 3 Ugandan Vanilla beans in vodka for 3-5 days. I cut them into pieces to fit into a shot glass, and also sliced them open longways. Before transferring to secondary, dump the vanilla beans and vodka (since the vodka now contains a lot of vanilla flavor) into your carboy.

Let this sit for 5 days, tasting at 3 and 5 days for desired vanilla flavor. The vanilla should be slightly more upfront than you wish for in the final product, as the vanilla will fade with time, carbonation, and cold temperatures. If the vanilla isnt enough yet, soak and add another half of a vanilla bean at a time. My first attempt I started with 2.5 beans, but decided it needed another half and it turned out wonderful.

This version is very well received by most craft and non craft drinkers. My mother, who is a wine drinker, absolutely loves this beer. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask! Cheers!

Thanks for the recipe. I'm from Kansas City and I love Tallgrass. I got the recipe for Ethos from Hood. Great dude. Definitely gonna try this later this year, for a fall beer.

I may be moving back to KC here before too long, if a job pans out. Gonna have to start hitting up that firkin thing you have been raving about.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm from Kansas City and I love Tallgrass. I got the recipe for Ethos from Hood. Great dude. Definitely gonna try this later this year, for a fall beer.

I may be moving back to KC here before too long, if a job pans out. Gonna have to start hitting up that firkin thing you have been raving about.

The firkins ive been to have been hit or miss, but the pumpkin one was unbelievable. And yes, andrew is a great dude and is always willing to help a home brewer. Let me know if you brew this up or move back to KC! Cheers.

I will be doing a double batch of this in a week or two. One half will be the above posted Pumpkin, and the other half will be my first attempt at the vanilla. :D

Ah that sounds delicious. Think I might make this my pumpkin beer for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just remember if bottle conditioning to use brown sugar. I forgot that the first time and it certainly took away from the flavor.

When bottling with brown sugar would you use the same amount as if you where bottling with dextrose?

Thanks. I think this is going to be my next brew. 10 gallon batch half with the spices half with out

Thanks. I think this is going to be my next brew. 10 gallon batch half with the spices half with out

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out. I haven't done the base recipe without spices yet but others have and its turned out great. Cheers!

I was able to brew 12 gallons of this yesterday. Maxed out my keggle at 13.5 gallons and over shot my efficiency by eleven percent! I now have an "imperial" buffalo sweat fermenting away. :D
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408332807.245483.jpg

Just an FYI, this thread has been moved and now include all 3 recipes based on this. The regular base recipe of buffalo sweat, the pumpkin version, and now the vanilla bean version. Cheers and thanks to the mods for renaming the thread.

Perfect. We'll see if I can get some here soon. Maybe just use 1272 or 1450 if LHBS is out.

They are super sketchy on keeping yeast in stock

Brewing this Sunday pumpkin style and for the price of this recipe think I'll be brewing the regular version soon to can't beat 28 dollars, only difference is I had to go with 007 cause no wyeast at my LHBS I was actually looking forward to a smack pack to see what there like lol oh well

Brewed today got OG of 1.058 not bad missed by 3points of what beer smith told me I would have, I added 2 cans of pumpkin to the boil and will add the normal schedule from above to secondary taste amazing as hell and think I'm going to rebrew the buffalo sweat clone by it self as well, can't beat a $28 beer

Hell yeah man, looks great! Let us know how it turns out. I'm interested to see how the pumpkin added to boil helps it.

Transferring to secondary and adding spices today at some point will let you know how she is tasting from primary with Hydro sample

Don't know if the pumpkin cans really did much but this is one easy drinking beer, she is sitting at 1.017 right now just transfered and adding spices this is going to be a great brew thanks for sharing the recipe with us all fins

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413739245.909505.jpg

It did give it that sorta slight touch of orange around the edges can't wait for this to be bottled and primed lol

AnotHer question that's 2.5 whole cloves right? And guessing amount of brown sugar will be the same for light and dark seeing it just saying brown sugar on NB'S website calculator.

AnotHer question that's 2.5 whole cloves right? And guessing amount of brown sugar will be the same for light and dark seeing it just saying brown sugar on NB'S website calculator.

Yep i would probably just use two cloves though.

Sweet went on a limb when I pitched everything else in and tossed two cloves in, to bad you can't just buy two cloves at a time the spices cost about the price of the whole recipe (according to the wife but she exaggerates some times too lol) so age this for three more weeks then bottle or sort sample and bottle when tasting best?

Finfins

What's your OG FG on these bad boys ?

Its been all over the place.

First run at this was perfect at OG 1.057 and FG 1.017. The most recent batch was 12 gallons and got OG 1.068 FG 1.026. I under shot my efficiency big time the second run, both have been good though haha.

Sounds good. I'm brewing this weekend. 6 gallons. Took the recipe from the OP and just bumped the 2row to get me to 1.058.

Sounds like that's right in the wheel house for it.

Back