Blow off tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
Is 10 feet of blow off tubing to much should I cut it shorter or will tha be fine?

Depends on how far your bucket is away from the fermenter. My tubing is 3' long and blows into a water jug next to the fermenter.

I'm just curious cause if I don't need to cut it IDE rather not in case I come up with any brewing crafty ideas to use it for.

If the tubing is too long it will tend to coil up.
Mine is about 3' long and is a large radius.
It is nearly vertical in the "airlock adapter" and vertical into the
blowoff pitcher with a slight radius on the end to allow flow.

What kind of tubing are you using?
Mine is vinyl and seemed plenty cheap enough.

Blow-off tubing gets pretty gunky and you can soak and brush out a 3" piece, but a 10' piece will be impossible to clean properly and could not be used for anything else thats "crafty".

Ok, we'll I woke up this morning to it starting to blow over and it just stopped probably 30 mins to an hr after I caught it. Is that normal.

Ok ether way I deploy next week for a month so im sure it will be well fermented by time I get home and ready to bottle.

Ok so I took your advise and cut about 2 feet and here it is

image-3017800780.jpg

How do you brew more beer when you use your brew kettle for the blowoff tube??? :ban:

I use a milk jug with about 1/4 full of star san. It can get gross and I don't want that crap in my brew kettle. But yes...that length of tube looks good. I like having my tube go directly into the hole in the lid. I think it's 5/16 OD tube that fits.

Lol that's all I have to use right now. The wife won't let me use her pots and I don't have an empty milk jug right now. It's so wired thought I installed the blow off tube and now it's not blowing over any more, and it's venting so slow I hope I didn't ruin it at all.

No,it's not ruined. Initial fermentation is usually over when all the insane bubbling slows or stops. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.

Ok cool well I won't be bottling it till I get back from afghan in march so it should have plenty of time to do its thing

Yup. That'll do fine. Be smart,stay safe over there. If you see a weapons trainer named Sam that's gray haired,tell him I said howdy. He's my nephew.

Ok cool, well I won't be bottling it till I get back from afghan in march so it should have plenty of time to do its thing.

Back