Lambics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Beer 2:
lambicblend3.png

Beer 3:
lambicblend2.png

I will be racking 4 gallons of Beer 3 onto a second generation yeast cake of Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend
I will be racking 7 gallons of Beer 2 and 3 gallons of Beer 3 onto a second generation yeast cake of Wyeast 3763 Roselare.
I will age for one year, then I will perhaps rack onto fruit for 6 more months

I should add that although there are no hops, the beer from the first generation was 35.5 IBUs. I am making these beers 0 IBUs so that I can blend them with hoppy first generation after ageing.

Neither of those grain bills are even close to a traditional lambic grist. I think you should call these American sours. ;)

Keep us posted on how this project turns out!

Yeah I wanted to use higher % of wheat but it`s so expensive at my local brew store that I decided to go with this instead.

Critisism/advise is welcome

I think we should start by figuring out what you're going for with these beers. Did you have any recipes that you used for inspiration?

As far as using wheat, it's usually unmalted. I've used whole wheat flour for a cherry lambic and it worked well. That might be a cheaper solution if your LHBS is too expensive.

Also, what is the beer that you're going to mixing it with? I would still probably use some hops in these two. If you're aging them for a year, you're never going to know hops were there, but they'll help keep some weaker nasties at bay.

I think we should start by figuring out what you're going for with these beers. Did you have any recipes that you used for inspiration?

I'm interested in this too. I see you're using Roeselare and not Lambic Blend. While Roeselare makes a fine beer, it does not make a lambic.

What are we going for here?

Back