all late Zythos BIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I am about to come into 3oz of Zythos when my neighbour comes back from the states and was thinking of doing a kind of belgian IPA with it and adding an oz each at 15,10 and 5 minutes.
Has anyone used this "hop blend" in such a anner before?
Recipe would kind of be like this;

2.5gallons
2lb Munich
2lb Vienna
1lb two-row
1lb pils
a bit of table sugar and some flaked wheat.
T-58 OR maybe I have some re-cultured LaChouffe yeast knocking about still.

Any imput on this would be a big help to me.
Cheers,
Lee:confused:

Anyone?
Incase there is a great idea out there waiting, i also have some fuggles,ekg,saaz,
Tettnanger and chinook
Cheers

Just kegged a 10 gallon batch of a zythos amber, with additions at 15, 10, and 5. Bittered with Warrior. I used Wyeast 1968 which is a malt-forward yeast with lower attenuation. It is quite tasty but the recipe doesn't quite highlight the hops so not sure this is helpful to you. Go for it, the other thread referenced has several people saying zythos with a belgian yeast would be good!

I think this is a good idea, my only suggestion is to drop the 15 min addition and save that oz for dryhopping. Let us know how it goes!

wow,cheers lads.
The reasons for the yeast is that they are the only ones I can get my hands on. I mean,I have some other English ale yeast,but it wouldn't be Belgian then.
ahurd110, you reckon add a 60 minute bitering charge and dry hop with the other oz of Zythos?

Yes, I would bitter with the chinook and save the zythos for flavor/aroma. Both yeast choices seem good, I have used both with good results.

I disagree with bittering with Chinook, it has a harsh, nasty bitterness. Go with your original schedule, 15, 10 and 5. Do the calcs of course to make sure your IBU's remain in range with the style, but with a 2.5 gallon batch those hops should provide enough bitterness and highly accentuated hop flavors. I hop burst in this way all the time, either a tiny 60 minute addition, or no 60 minute at all, just 15, 10, 5. The flavor will be very noticeable.

again, I am shooting from the hip, you need to calculate this with the zythos AA% and good software/spreadsheet to make sure you stay with IBU range.

I was thinking that the total IBUs from an oz each at 15,10 and 5 would give me around 65-70IBUs.
I have also been trying like mad to find out what the composition of the blend is,but alas without result.
My first choice was Summit,but as my neighbour was only going to be in the area of SFcraftbrew,he got what he could.
So,I am now in a conundrum. To stick with the original 15,10,5 OR bitter with something else at 60 and dry-hop.

I have been disappointed by dry hopping because it takes larger amounts to have an effect. Others will have different opinions but I have seen better results from keg hopping or hop bursting like you proposed with the original hop schedule. Either way, good luck.

Hell,I just thought. I have some Brett Trois growing in a growler.
How about that then,super-fruit?

Ohhhhh the agony of the wait.
When you coming back from the states mr neighbour?

Back