Beer bottles are getting to big

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I bought a 750 was the chimay blue label. My wife & I took a whileto drink all that. Now that we found she's a type 1 diabetic,that's a bit much for me to finish before it goes flat. I stick with 12 ouncers now. Def a more managable amount.

I'd definitely rather get some of the lost abby stuff in 12-16oz bottles rather than 750ml. I normally only open one these days when I'm going to be sitting outside for an hour or two with a cigar, otherwise it's just too much beer to drink and it never tastes as good the next day.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I love the big bottles as they promote sharing. I'm all about having a nice 75cl bottle with dinner. Usually just two of us, but three works just as well.
It's also always a pain trying to split up 12 oz bottles at a bottle share of 8-10 people.

My philosophy is bigger bottles bring people together.
And regarding 'getting too big' -- we're just reverting to how it used to be. Look at really old geuze from the early 1800's. Or those bottles just brought up from shipwreck. All 75cl sized.

Funny you say this because I'm currently looking for as many magnum, 3 liter, and 6 liter bottles that I can find.

I started out bottling my beers in 22's, but at some poin I realized I'd much rather spend a little more time cleaning and filling and be able to pour my beers in one shot and have the option of drinking a second one rather than taking so long to drink a 22. However, there are some commercial beers that I love polishing off 22oz or 750ml bottles of.

What is more American than the idea that bigger is better. Just as the craft ber world is seems to love big beers they seem to love big bottles. While their is nothing wrong with a large ottle of a good IIPA their is also nothing wrong with a small bottle a good session beer also. The craft beer world is big enough for botha nd everything else in them middle.

Commercial bottles getting bigger? They got smaller.

1 quart returnable bottles used to be quite common.
I still have a few cases of 1-quart Olympia and Pabst bottles in service.

Commercial 1/2 gallon growlers disappeared too
pabst.jpg

amandabab said:
Commercial bottles getting bigger? They got smaller.

1 quart returnable bottles used to be quite common.
I still have a few cases of 1-quart Olympia and Pabst bottles in service.

Commercial 1/2 gallon growlers disappeared too

First of all that is an awesome bottle...

Second: what is the ABV of Pabst?

I love big bottles of low alcohol beers. It's all of the specialty high alcohol beers that I would like to see in small format bottles..

So this is a thread complaining about how you can only get certain beers in 22oz or 750ml (25.3oz) size?

First world beer problems: "I'd really like to open this bottle of Cuvee de Tomme, but I only want to drink one beer, not two".

Used to be some barleywines would come in 7 oz "nips." It made sense to buy stronger beers is smaller containers, now most of the RIS and BW come in bombers.

My fridge is full of bombers because I don't have some to drink them with often enough.

I'd definitely rather get some of the lost abby stuff in 12-16oz bottles rather than 750ml.

In my experience, people aren't willing to spend 5-7 dollars on a 12 ounce bottle of beer but will have no problem pulling the trigger on a 12-15 dollar bomber of the same stuff.

In my experience, people aren't willing to spend 5-7 dollars on a 12 ounce bottle of beer but will have no problem pulling the trigger on a 12-15 dollar bomber of the same stuff.

I left it out of my article, but the prices of the larger bottles make no sense either. A lot of time the 4 pack costs less per ounce than the bomber. Goose Island is a great example. I bought the 4 pack of Sophie for $12.99. The bombers were going for $10.99.

It doesn't make any sense.

I left it out of my article, but the prices of the larger bottles make no sense either. A lot of time the 4 pack costs less per ounce than the bomber. Goose Island is a great example. I bought the 4 pack of Sophie for $12.99. The bombers were going for $10.99.

It doesn't make any sense.

Find a place that selling individual 12 ounce bottles and the price per ounce difference will mostly wash out. IMO Either way, if you are getting your panties in a bunch over the price per ounce of beer, you shouldn't be buying beer in the first place...

IffyG said:
IMO Either way, if you are getting your panties in a bunch over the price per ounce of beer, you shouldn't be buying beer in the first place...

That's why it was left out of the article

Back