My first brew in 10 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPhad

Reaction score
Started slow with a brewers best IPA kit. Used us05 yeast then dry hopped with 1oz centennial for a week. This is first one after a week in bottle day in fridge. Lots of foam not tastes great.

image-3052341736.jpg

BPhad said:
Started slow with a brewers best IPA kit. Used us05 yeast then dry hopped with 1oz centennial for a week. This is first one after a week in bottle day in fridge. Lots of foam not tastes great.

Meant to say 'but tastes great'.

BPhad said:

Meant to say ' but tastes great '

Haha not tastes great and but tastes great...two very different things. Glad it tastes good. Welcome back to the hobby...I mean obsession.

Thats a nice looking glass of beer........congrats welcome back. I just came back after a 10 year hiatus myself. The gadgets have changed but good beer hasn't

Thanks. Don't know how to edit from my iPhone. I even screws up and posted twice. I already have #2 a blue moon clone in bottles then a Belgian ale in fermentor and just got an order from NB today for my next two. Obsession is correct.

Nice.

I 5 batches in the bottle, an Inkeeper English Ale in primary and ingredients for a Scottish 70, Cream Ale and a Belgian Dubble siting on my work bench. I also have 110 lbs of base malt sitting in my kitchen.........This is all since January 15th of this year.

It's funny how you don't realize how much you miss something till you start doing it again.

two_one_seven said:
Nice.

I 5 batches in the bottle, an Inkeeper English Ale in primary and ingredients for a Scottish 70, Cream Ale and a Belgian Dubble siting on my work bench. I also have 110 lbs of base malt sitting in my kitchen.........This is all since January 15th of this year.

It's funny how you don't realize how much you miss something till you start doing it again.

Wow, impressive!

I took about 8 years off myself. I jumped in both feet first also. I bought a kegerator and 10 corny kegs. I just got going in February and have done 5 batches. Must. Do. More.

Glassware was from a local Rock Bottom

Totally agree on the need to keep going. Just found out a nephew has an empty corny keg and some co2 so next batch is going in the keg

Also just re-read Revvy's thread on carbonation and realized I need to leave the rest of them for at least 2 more weeks.

Naptown said:
I took about 8 years off myself. I jumped in both feet first also. I bought a kegerator and 10 corny kegs. I just got going in February and have done 5 batches. Must. Do. More.

How do you find the time? That is intense.

Not sure about Naptown but I brew almost every weekend. I'm doing a Thursday night batch this week because my in-laws are in town over the weekend. Just gotta make the time. My wife is a bit of a saint too, for putting up with me.

two_one_seven said:
Not sure about Naptown but I brew almost every weekend. I'm doing a Thursday night batch this week because my in-laws are in town over the weekend. Just gotta make the time. My wife is a bit of a saint too, for putting up with me.

Please tell me your kids are all grown up and you are retired. Haha honestly though, my goal is to start brewing at least every two weeks.

Nice looking glass of beer! There seem to be a lot of "this is my first batch in __ years" posts. I have a similar thread of my own on here. This hobby seems to draw people back even after a long hiatus!

I've got my first two batches in the kegs: a stout and a honey pale ale. Going to brew a Firestone Walker Double Barrel clone this weekend, and hope to get a rye IPA going after that.

Welcome back to the hobby from another resurrected brewer.

I have a 10 yo and 8 yo. Plus I work 50 hours a week. I love doing it so much that I will make time to do it even when I am busy with other things. I do like it because I can do it at home. Beat's racing mountain bikes hands down for this reason.

two_one_seven said:
I have a 10 yo and 8 yo. Plus I work 50 hours a week. I love doing it so much that I will make time to do it even when I am busy with other things. I do like it because I can do it at home. Beat's racing mountain bikes hands down for this reason.

Good for you. Hopefully I'll get there someday.

I'm curious, what makes people leave and what makes people come back? I took a couple years off when I lived in a condo/apt, then came back when we bought a townhouse. Is this similar to most or are there other reasons?

I'm curious, what makes people leave and what makes people come back? I took a couple years off when I lived in a condo/apt, then came back when we bought a townhouse. Is this similar to most or are there other reasons?

I'm sure its different for each of us. In my case there were a few different items at work. First, I was young and impatient and didn't have the discipline to use the right procedures and methods to really make good beer. At the time I was always a little disappointed in my results. But I was also young and unsophisticated, and probably hadn't developed a proper appreciation for craft beer yet, so I probably wasn't giving even my own home brew the credit it was due (I did like craft beer at the time, but I wasn't as well versed in all the different styles and nuances yet). But the biggest factor was that I loaned all of my brewing equipment to a friend, then the two of us drifted apart and I sort of lost my equipment along with him. I was getting more and more into drinking craft beer and I figured what the hell, I can buy better beer than I can brew (again due to my under-appreciation of my own early brewing results), so I never had much of an urge to get back into it. Then about a year ago a close friend of mine started homebrewing. I began following along with his progress, and even helped brew a batch. Then I was re-hooked, and just had to get back into it myself. The cool thing about this time around is that I'm more mature about it, more patient and thorough, and best of all not trying to cobble everything together on a just-out-of-college budget. I like being able to walk into the homebrew store and if I see something I want to try, I can just buy it rather than having to scrape together change from the couch cushions. I'm not bragging, its not like I'm rich, its just that I'm not the poor bastard I was way back then.

That's pretty much my answer to Jdm5209's question. I'd be interested in hearing others'.

Basement for me. I bought my first house 10 years ago and didn't have the room to do it. I now have the room.

For me it was for the most part family commitments. Kids in sports, school etc.
I also agree with polvofiloso, I recall brewing what I thought was a bad beer and at the time I did not want to invest my time brewing to have it turn out bad. In hindsight I think I was just impatient. I also have a greater appreciation for beer styles now that I have sampled and understood how they are produced. But honestly if I had not stumbled across this board I don't know if I would have tried again. I find more answers on this board than I knew questions 10-12 years ago. I just had a copy of Joy of Brewing a bucket, carboy and some mail order extract kits. Now I'm am trying BIAB and full boils.

Back