Stuck fermentation re-started after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharias

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed this chocolate stout (1.053 og) a couple of weeks back, fermentation took off like a rocket and lasted about 3 days. I checked the SG after 6 days and it was 1.025, way too high (target was 1.013). I let it sit and took it again every 3 days for 9 days, and it didn't change a tick. I decided to cut my losses and bottle it and drink it fast to avoid bottle bombs. I racked it into the bottling bucket to let it sit for a day and then i started getting airlock activity again. I know, I know, airlock bubbles dont necessarily indicate fermentation. Has anyone heard of fermentation resuming after being stuck then racked? Yeast is Nottingham btw.
Thanks all.
-Zach

Yup, you roused the yeast some, might get it down a few more points.

I'm sure you expect this, but you have to take a gravity reading to be sure. It's probably just CO2 leaving solution because it's been agitated, but I guess it's possible that the yeast got active again after getting a little oxygen in their system.

I'm sure you expect this, but you have to take a gravity reading to be sure. It's probably just CO2 leaving solution because it's been agitated, but I guess it's possible that the yeast got active again after getting a little oxygen in their system.

Going to take one friday.

Back