Coke/Pepsi bag in box sources?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place online or off that sells Coke or Pepsi products in the bag-in-box format? Samsclub website sells Dr Pepper and generic BIB's reasonably priced. The only Coke and Pepsi I could find online is from the Nationalcandy website. Although with shipping, they would cost around $150 per 5 gallon box.

Most places that carry those products are bound by contract to only sell to businesses. Look around for a restaurant supply place, some places are more compliant than others.

Check with your local small restaurants. They might sell ya a BIB and they can order another. You both come out ahead. He makes a few bucks on you, and you get whatca want!

What kind of equipment do you need to run a bag in box system?

it depends on how fancy you want to get, and how good you are at scrounging out the needed hardware.. new is very expensive but used can be very reasonable and sometimes free :)

for a basic system, you need:

a dispenser. this can be a full-on restaurant or convenience store type of dispenser, or a bar gun system, like a wunder bar. some dispensers have refrigeration systems to cool the soda and syrup, but most use a cold plate which requires clear ice to work properly.

a carbonator. this is a unit with a motor-driven pump and a pressure tank that mixes filtered tap water with c02 gas to make carbonated water. sometimes they are mounted inside a dispenser but usually are a seperate unit.

bib pumps. c02 gas-driven pumps that pull syrup out of the bib bags and pump it to the dispenser. you need one for each dispenser head or bar gun button you want to dispense.

bib connectors. fittings that connect to the valves on the bib bags, usually product-specific (coke and pepsi use different connectors)

co2 tank and gas regulators. you don't need a huge co2 tank, but 10lb is probably the minimum i would use... but you do need 2 regulators, one that can supply 100psi to the carbonator and one that can supply 40psi to the bib pumps. alternatively, if you want to save some co2 and already own an air compressor you can drive the bib pumps with air instead. you'll still need to run them at 40psi however..

tubing, fittings and clamps. how much and how many depends on your installation, but remember that the only metal allowed in contact with soda is stainless steel. copper and brass are not allowed and will create toxic water...

however...... if you are looking to dispense one flavor on an infrequent basis and want a simple system that can be added to an existing kegerator:

flomatic makes a fully-mechanical postmix dispenser valve that works well and requires no electrical power to operate. has 1/4" flare connections so it can be mounted to any surface, like the collar on a converted freezer. about $65 new.

a corny keg of force-carbonated water stored in a kegerator will last a while and is easy enough to refill when it runs out.

the syrup needs to be cooled, a 10 or 20 foot coil of 1/4" stainless tubing in a container of water in the kegerator should do the trick.

one bib pump for each dispenser valve, mounted inside or outside of the kegerator. best to have the syrup bib outside for easier pumping..

you'll still need 2 gas regulators, 70-100psi for the soda keg and 40psi for the bib pumps.

Do you have a link for the flomatic postmix valve you mentioned? That would be interesting to see.

The system I have is a 5 head fountain I found on craigslist for under $100. The carbonator that came with needs to be replaced. So instead of spending $150-200 for a new one, I figured I'd use a spare keg and carb the water in that. The one gallon BIB's that Sam's sells for about $15 makes 6 gallons of soda. That seems to be a good match with a 5 gallon corny of water. That way they're replaced at approx the same time.

Yeah I don't have a carbonator for my BIB system, I just use a 5 gal corny with 30 PSI of CO2 on it.

As for where to get syrup, check out a GFS Marketplace if there is one near you, they stock the 5 gallon boxes.

Could you just mix a certain amount of syrup with water and force carb it and then use a picnic tap? #justsayin

Yes you can, but then that whole keg would just be one flavor.

A method that can be even cheaper is to buy 2 liters on sale and just fill a keg with those and put it on 30 PSI of Co2 and dispense that. The BIB syrups are not that cheap in the small quantities we want (at least name brand).

Yes you can, but then that whole keg would just be one flavor.

A method that can be even cheaper is to buy 2 liters on sale and just fill a keg with those and put it on 30 PSI of Co2 and dispense that. The BIB syrups are not that cheap in the small quantities we want (at least name brand).

That would be a good idea for some flavors. I guess since your putting it back under co2 pressure, that you wouldn't have to worry about it being flat from the co2 released when pouring it into the keg. The downside would be a keg for each flavor and the space to keep them all refrigerated. Where with BIB's you only have to refrigerate one keg of water.

That would be a good idea for some flavors. I guess since your putting it back under co2 pressure, that you wouldn't have to worry about it being flat from the co2 released when pouring it into the keg. The downside would be a keg for each flavor and the space to keep them all refrigerated. Where with BIB's you only have to refrigerate one keg of water.

The guy above said the syrup needs refrigerated too, but I know McDonalds doesn't keep in refreigerated. I may however go through a coil of some sort like he mentioned. In which case you'd need one of those per flavor in the keezer anyway.

The guy above said the syrup needs refrigerated too, but I know McDonalds doesn't keep in refreigerated. I may however go through a coil of some sort like he mentioned. In which case you'd need one of those per flavor in the keezer anyway.

the syrup bib doesn't need to be refrigerated, but the syrup does need to be chilled before it's mixed with the carbonated water. that's one of the magical things that happens inside a commercial dispenser that you don't see... if you don't chill the syrup, the finished soda will be flat.

Do you have a link for the flomatic postmix valve you mentioned? That would be interesting to see.

The system I have is a 5 head fountain I found on craigslist for under $100. The carbonator that came with needs to be replaced. So instead of spending $150-200 for a new one, I figured I'd use a spare keg and carb the water in that. The one gallon BIB's that Sam's sells for about $15 makes 6 gallons of soda. That seems to be a good match with a 5 gallon corny of water. That way they're replaced at approx the same time.

http://www.chicompany.net/flomatic-mechanical-new-soda-dispenser-heads-474.html

Hi all,

I'm new to all this. I own a small beverage company and have generated lots of interest in local bars and clubs for my product. They want it, I want to give it to them, but I need it in a BIB system! The question is, what system would I purchase/assemble to dispense a non-carbonated beverage. Does not need to be cooled. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Best regards,
Mario R. Melton

[email protected] | [email protected]

Yeah you don't need to chill your syrup just the soda. You can even get around chilling the soda by pouring the drink over ice. While you will not have as much carbonation as if you chilled the soda water it will still be good.

How long will a box of coke syrup last in my shelf? And how do I preserve it for longer time periods? I ask this because I don't think I can/will consume the entire box in 3 months and I would hate to throw the rest away...

Are you sure you can't get it from Sam's club? Last time I was there I thought I saw 5 gallons of coke syrup in a box for around 80 bucks.

At my sam's club they sell 2.5 gallon boxes of some things. I use it for a soda gun system and have a few boxes that are about a year old. The soda tastes just fine. From what I understand the diet sodas change flavor faster.

Ok just so were clear and I don't mean to sound disrespectful or inconsiderate but trying to say this in the most utmost respect and don't take it the wrong way... But are you assuming they have the BIB syrups in Sams club in Canada because they exist in the US? Or are you certain that they have them in the Canadian locations because you saw them there? And I ask because your location is from MA, meaning you're in the USA and not from Canada.

So go easy on me I am trying to confirm if you are assuming or if you know, thank you.

Ok thank you, because we have a Costco here and it is NOTHING like the one in the US. Unfortunate but the that's the truth.

I would give it a shot. I just gave them a call and asked that is how I found it. Also some folks have had luck with asking a local bar or restaurant to order an extra BIB or 2 for them.

If the Sam's or COSTCO in Canada do not carry them you only need ask for them to consider stocking--this comes from the management staff at both stores in my area. You can also ask at roadside gasoline/food stores because many of these stores use BIB and if you have a regular one you go to they may sell you one, or order one when they get their next order.

Just ask a store owner that sells soda. Let him know you would like a BIB and would pay a fair price for home use. Your bound to find someone to honor your request. You'll may even get it cheaper that way. May even get several used boxes for cheap.

Back