Installing temp controller with collar attached to the lid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
So I attached my collar to the lid. My question is to those of you who also did this, how do you run your temp controller into it? Drill through the collar and run it through? But that means the probe will raise up everytime you open the lid. I use a Johnson Analog controller and have a ziploc zip tied around it and have it submersed in a while labs vial of water duct taped to one of the kegs.

Thanks.

i mounted my collar to the freezer but i would assume if you give the wire enough slack you will be fine- just mount the temp probe at the level you want it at with enough wire inside so when you open it nothing pulls. As for the whitelabs vial of water- by doing that you will cause larger temperature swings because the specific heat of water is higher the air which is why you can set a varience on the temp controller. If the pump is turing on and off too many times then set the varience higher. I have mine at +/-2 and its perfect

i mounted my collar to the freezer but i would assume if you give the wire enough slack you will be fine- just mount the temp probe at the level you want it at with enough wire inside so when you open it nothing pulls. As for the whitelabs vial of water- by doing that you will cause larger temperature swings because the specific heat of water is higher the air which is why you can set a varience on the temp controller. If the pump is turing on and off too many times then set the varience higher. I have mine at +/-2 and its perfect

Can you change it on a Johnson Analog? I thought it just had the dial. :confused:

Why attach the collar to the lid?? Any way, I would drill a somewhat larger hole in the back of the lid, that way it shouldn't move as far up and down. Then duct tape the wire down the back of the keezer, there should be enough play to facilitate you opening and closing the lid.

I also wouldn't recommend submerging the probe, I tape mine to the keg side and run a +/- of 5*

oops we were assuming you had the digital controller.:cross:

Can you change it on a Johnson Analog? I thought it just had the dial. :confused:

i was thinking digital. either way you have a 3.5 degree differential which is factory set according to northern brewer. Im only curious why you wanted to use the whitelab vial anyway? The plus side is im sure with the collar mounted to the lid you can clean much easier and reach the bottom...i almost did that but decided against it last minute

So you're not banging the shanks and lines while changing kegs......

Who has shanks coming out of their keezer? What are you cavemen?:D

Even if you did, you can't remove a cornie without hitting shanks and lines? Sounds like the freezer is to small.

Even if you did, you can't remove a cornie without hitting shanks and lines? Sounds like the freezer is to small.

I have a magic chef 7.2. Fits 6 kegs. I also have semi-tall tap handles. I didn't want to lift full kegs 8" (collar) then an additional however tall the tap handles are, then bend over them and place the keg in the freezer. That's just asking for something to get broken or to wind up with beer nuts.

I drilled a hole under the hinge that I put my gas line and probe through. Then shot some expanding foam in there to insulate.

13719-keezer007.jpg

If you're not using shanks how do you attach your beer line to your faucet?? It's not so much that you can't, as you don't have to worry about it. And as far as being too small. It hold 3 cornies and my co2 tank. That is enough for me. I personally have a tap box on top of my lid and don't have to worry about hitting anything, but that is one reason I can see.

Back