Magic City Brewfest Birmingham, AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
I just picked up my ticket for the Saturday session. All they had left were the beer only tickets, none of the beer/food tickets. It might be sold out by next week so get your tickets if you're going. FTH says that they will have beer above 6%. Also I just heard that the Western in Vestavia and Mountain Brook will be getting above 6% beer tomorrow, May 28th.

I just saw this on the MCBF web site. Guess we have a few more dumb laws that need to be overturned.

PLEASE NOTE the following change from previous years: In order to comply with the current interpretation of ABC regulations, we have agreed to charge one penny per sample. Multiple samples can be purchased at one time (such as paying a quarter for 25 samples). We will have change on site. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this is required for us to be in compliance with ABC regulations and have the Brewfest at all.

I had a great time. The place was packed. Good People had 2 lines 20 deep from open to close, they had their new iipa that was pretty good. There is also a new brewery that will be opening here Back Forty. They had a booth way in the back but I got by and had a pale ale that was really good. I spoke with someone there and she said at the moment they are contract brewed out of Lazy Magnolia but they are looking for a local place. They will be brewing and distributing like Good People, they will not have a brew pub.
I did not seek out any of the new high gravity beers but I did have some good stuff from Durango. They had some grains sitting out on their table and I talked with one of the guys a little bit about brewing. I don't think he was their brew master but by that time it was 3 hours into the festival.
Over all it was better than 2 years ago but on par with last year, it was really crowded this year. I also heard they ran out of food, I have not bought a food ticket since the first year because they ran out that year too.

Back