want to try my first all grain without a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazygee69

Reaction score
Iwas wondering does anyone have any suggestions on a good recipe for a guy going out on his own with out a kit for the first time. Nothing to hoppy, maybe a good stout or red ale. Any suggestions on howto get started would be appreciated, the kits are fun but simple and getting boring.

Thhanks for the quick response. I will ponder on this one, I read the recipe and it seems easy and I only read good things about it.:mug:

Ed's Haus Ale was my first AG as well, and it was a nice simple recipe that tastes great whether you hit your gravity or not. There are tons of easy AG recipes out there for other styles as well. What kind of beer did you want to brew?

Hefe's are easy to do. Just make sure you add plenty of rice hulls in your mash so you don't get a stuck sparge. I usually put about 1/2 lb. in. The reason you do this is because wheat doesn't have a hull like barley and you need the hull to help filter the wort when you sparge the grains.

I brewed this Irish Red Ale this summer for a big party. It was the first keg to blow:

This is for an 11 gallon batch but you can slice it in half for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Get yourself a copy of BeerSmith to help you formulate your own recipes.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

15.00 lb Pale Malt, Golden Promise (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.6 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.5 %