Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few recent pictures of Ozzy.

Hanging out in our back yard

20130516_160728_HDR_Hagrid.jpg

Some SAR training.

Getting close to his mark, ears listening closely for movement from multiple directions at once.

20130516_123311_HDR_Hagrid1.jpg

Pretty sure he's locked on, ears peeked up and focused more on one location, stance has loosened up and he's gone into play/chase mode, his favorite part. He was right, his mark was about 200 yards up stream

20130516_122443_Hagrid.jpg

Here's a few recent pictures of Ozzy.

Hanging out in our back yard

20130516_160728_HDR_Hagrid.jpg

Some SAR training.

Getting close to his mark, ears listening closely for movement from multiple directions at once.

20130516_123311_HDR_Hagrid1.jpg

Pretty sure he's locked on, ears peeked up and focused more on one location, stance has loosened up and he's gone into play/chase mode, his favorite part. He was right, his mark was about 200 yards up stream

20130516_122443_Hagrid.jpg

Very cool! How long have you bee training Ozzy?

Pretty sh!tty backyard btw... :D :p ;)

Very cool! How long have you bee training Ozzy?

Pretty sh!tty backyard btw... :D :p ;)

We started search/drive training as a pup at about 8 months, it's kind of a lifestyle for him. He's 4 now, fully certified avalanche, alpine, and water rescue. Working on wilderness searches lately but more to keep him busy than anything. We've helped with 3 successful winter rescues and 2 summer time alpine rescues.

And yeah mowing my yard is a real *****.

You really should do something about the drainage so you don't get all that standing water... :D

I put a drainage ditch in last year but the coast guard got all worked up about me draining the Atlantic. Here they are nagging me

IMG_20130403_141238.jpg

"Get off my lawn you darn kids" was my reply

image-3726613648.jpg

Thankfully it rained tonight so schotzie can finally get some water because we don't supply any apparently

Samoyeds?

"Boomer" is a Great Pyr. We think "Roxy" is a Sammy mix (w/ American Eskimo) because she's a bit smaller than most Samoyeds but has all their traits including the smile and "Wooo,Wooo,Wooo". Both came from SoCal rescues. Best friends was an understatement, they're inseparable.

I have an appointment to be interviewed by a dog on Thursday. She is part of the service dog program and did not finish her training to become a seeing eye or companion dog, so they have to place her with a home. I called the lady and she set me an appointment to come meet the dog on Thursday. So I am thinkin.... How does one dress for a dog interview?..... Bathe in bacon grease and keep a pocket full of doggie treats handy? She has been placed with two other homes where she went on a hunger strike and refused to eat, so I am definitely looking for a way to get her to transition to a new environment easily. Any ideas? Pass em along before Thursday please.

Wheelchair Bob

I have an appointment to be interviewed by a dog on Thursday. She is part of the service dog program and did not finish her training to become a seeing eye or companion dog, so they have to place her with a home. I called the lady and she set me an appointment to come meet the dog on Thursday. So I am thinkin.... How does one dress for a dog interview?..... Bathe in bacon grease and keep a pocket full of doggie treats handy? She has been placed with two other homes where she went on a hunger strike and refused to eat, so I am definitely looking for a way to get her to transition to a new environment easily. Any ideas? Pass em along before Thursday please.

Wheelchair Bob
Lady Gaga's meat dress?

Wheelchair Bob

IMHO, some people don't feed their dogs good food. Or they change the food all the time. I get Blue Buffalo from amazon.

Wheelchair Bob

recently the Howdy had tummy problems and didn't want to eat. this was along with a back problem & yeast infection (Howdy Brau!)

meds were to be taken with food, so we had to get him to eat. someone suggested soaking his kibble with some low-sodium beef or chicken broth

it worked & 3 weeks later, his tummy, back and skin are all much better

good luck with the interview. wear what you would normally wear. Charlie P's advice works well in most situations; Relax, don't worry. but save the homebrew for after

Dogs can be very strange animals when they decide to boycott food. My 2 Aussies, Barley & Blue, were doing Vulcan mind games with their food, when I first got them.

They had been used to eating out of a common bowl (Barley first, as he's bigger) and Blue second, but I saw this as a problem since Blue was overweight (He'd chow down all he could once Barley was gone). It took me 2 weeks to get them to eat in separate bowls, because at first all they would do is secure their bowl and protect it by growling. Not too cool.

Finally I decided to throw a 3rd dog in the eating order, namely, ME. I'd give them their food once I was nearly done eating, and that ended up working well. Barley still eats first (out of his own bowl) once I've started having my own dinner, and once Barley is done, Blue will eat his food out of his own bowl.

MC

Find what the training program feeds, and buy that. At least for the first month or so, and then if that works, you can gradually transition to a QUALITY food of your choice.

I can't imagine my dogs ever boycotting food! Our chocolate lab was a rescue dog and he chows down every meal as if its his last. We've had him for 3 years and noting's changed...:)

This is Dixie. You have to be careful with beer glasses around her. You leave them unattended, she will entitle herself to a free sample, which is usually as much as she can get until you catch her. She will do the same with wine, margaritas, and other alcoholic beverages, except whiskey she seems to avoid whiskey.

image-2447461783.jpg

Abbey here is very finicky about eating. We feed her Castor & Pollux Organix and she seems to really like it, when you she decides to finally eat. As far as beer and other alcohol she also seems to have no interest in an unattended glass.

image-3868135246.jpg

Wheelchair Bob

She also may have been upset in the change of lifestyle. She was probably used to the program and going out and doing stuff and working. Suddenly transitioning to just being around the house and not doing anything can do that to a dog, especially working breeds. If you're going to take her, I'd try to have her with you as much as possible and go do stuff with her. Don't expect her to be a yard dog.

Thank you for all of the tips on my meeting tomorrow with Indi. She is a full shepherd and has been in the training program approx. one year. She has basic obedience and companion dog training already. I wish to continue her training to include being a companion dog for me since I am disabled and receive no benefits or help from the Gov from my infection in Iraq. I have been a dog owner for a number of years but never had the opportunity to work with a traned animal at her level. I understand establishing the Alpha position and being the pack leader concepts and do not "baby" our dogs like small people. We treat and love our animals as just that, an animal. So you can imagine how nervous I am about establishing my alpha position and getting this dog to transition, We are communicating with the trainers about her bowl, foods, training regimin and work program to help continue her need to work and be part of a productive pack. I am just having issues waiting to meet her tomorrow. I think it will all work out fine tomorrow after the meeting, but only time will tell how it is ultimayely going to turn out in the longrun. Wish me luck....

Wheelchair Bob

Thank you for all of the tips on my meeting tomorrow with Indi. She is a full shepherd and has been in the training program approx. one year. She has basic obedience and companion dog training already. I wish to continue her training to include being a companion dog for me since I am disabled and receive no benefits or help from the Gov from my infection in Iraq. I have been a dog owner for a number of years but never had the opportunity to work with a traned animal at her level. I understand establishing the Alpha position and being the pack leader concepts and do not "baby" our dogs like small people. We treat and love our animals as just that, an animal. So you can imagine how nervous I am about establishing my alpha position and getting this dog to transition, We are communicating with the trainers about her bowl, foods, training regimin and work program to help continue her need to work and be part of a productive pack. I am just having issues waiting to meet her tomorrow. I think it will all work out fine tomorrow after the meeting, but only time will tell how it is ultimayely going to turn out in the longrun. Wish me luck....

Wheelchair Bob

as much luck as I can wish

"We gave up on puppy chow, and dog chow didnt work either, now we buy Moose Chow"

haha, seriously though, we go through about 40-48lbs of food a month... and he eats the Blue Buffalo Wilderness stuff, there are times when i feel like he eats better than the girlfriend and i do. The food isn't cheap, but he never gets sick from it, he's always energetic and his coat is always super shiny and soft... it'll pay off in the long run that he's eating better stuff

I'm guessing he takes you for a walk now?

yeah if he get's to pulling he's got some strength behind him. we have a pinch collar for him but we don't use it too much, for the most part he stays by our side (on or off leash) but when theres a lot of people around he wants to say hello and he'll pull some. we take him to an off leash dog park everyday that doesn't rain and he spends about an hour or so (or until he lays down and passes out) running around with other dogs. we try and keep him social and friendly. he's a big gentle giant

haha, seriously though, we go through about 40-48lbs of food a month... and he eats the Blue Buffalo Wilderness stuff, there are times when i feel like he eats better than the girlfriend and i do. The food isn't cheap, but he never gets sick from it, he's always energetic and his coat is always super shiny and soft... it'll pay off in the long run that he's eating better stuff

yeah if he get's to pulling he's got some strength behind him. we have a pinch collar for him but we don't use it too much, for the most part he stays by our side (on or off leash) but when theres a lot of people around he wants to say hello and he'll pull some. we take him to an off leash dog park everyday that doesn't rain and he spends about an hour or so (or until he lays down and passes out) running around with other dogs. we try and keep him social and friendly. he's a big gentle giant

I know what you mean about the food, my gentle giant was a 230-pound Newfoundland dog. when we went for walk if she didn't want to go somewhere there was nothing we could do to make her go. I'm just glad she never got like that, it was unbelievable how strong she actually was

i love big dogs, and i've seen a few female newfies in the 160 range and thats big... i'm not sure what i'd do with one that was 230 haha

Here's ours. His name is "Trooper" named by my sons, who were 2 and 6 at the time we got him (5 years ago). He's a rescue from the pound, lab and ??? (pit?) mix. Best dog I've ever had and I've had a lot growing up. Loyal, obedient, protective. I can look at him a certain way and he knows to get out of the room, or make a sound in a certain tone and he will come or go, sit, etc. Just a real loyal dog.

trooper1.jpg

trooper5.jpg

trooper6.jpg

trroper3.jpg

trroper4.jpg

Latest posts

Back