Can a quarter keg be used for hombrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In theory, yes. In practice, assuming that quarter barrel came from a liquor store, just return it. It's the property of the brewery.

stratslinger said:
In theory, yes. In practice, assuming that quarter barrel came from a liquor store, just return it. It's the property of the brewery.

It is an old keg that was left in the garage of my house when I bought it, so returning is not an option given no clue where it is from.

If there are no brewery markings on it then I can't see where you would return it. It can be used for homebrew. It obviously requires a Sanke tap. I suppose you either have to remove the spear to refill or reverse fill through the tap.

Shooter said:
If there are no brewery markings on it then I can't see where you would return it. It can be used for homebrew. It obviously requires a Sanke tap. I suppose you either have to remove the spear to refill or reverse fill through the tap.

What is a Sanke Tap?

brandonhagen1 said:
A sanke tap is what all commercial brewerys use most home brewers use Corny kegs with ball or pinlock fittings

What else would I need? I don't currently keg. Also another question. My fil has a pump tap for a keg. Could that be used?

By pump tap, I assume you mean a party tap that you use at a kegger and just hand pump air into the keg to fill the headspace. If so, no, that is not what you want for this application. The oxygen will stale the beer fairly quickly. Unless you're going to blow through your kegs in 24 hours time, that's not going to work.

You need one of these:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=99

Plus the hoses, a CO2 regulator, CO2 tank and a serving faucet of some kind.

Shooter said:
By pump tap, I assume you mean a party tap that you use at a kegger and just hand pump air into the keg to fill the headspace. If so, no, that is not what you want for this application. The oxygen will stale the beer fairly quickly. Unless you're going to blow through your kegs in 24 hours time, that's not going to work.

You need one of these:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=99

Plus the hoses, a CO2 regulator, CO2 tank and a serving faucet of some kind.

Yup that is what I was talking about. So how much do you think everything I need to keg will cost me?

Back