Calling All ND Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
C'mon...anyone? Don't tell me I'm in this big state all by myself!

I know there's the SOBs (Society Of Brewers), but I'm not sure if they're disbanded now. Just hoping to find a fellow brewer here in North Dakota, preferably in the greater Bismarck-Mandan area. Here's to hoping there someone out there. Great brews could be had. :rockin:

Hello from mandan, I just found this forum yesterday after ordering a brewing kit (should arrive early next week) and searching online for some sound advice. good to know there are local homebrewers around.

nebelk, hey, great, I'm in Mandan too! Small world. We should get in touch sometime. I'm brewing a Belgian stout this weekend, hopefully. Also going to be growing my own hops. Let me know if you want me to private message you with some contact info.

r@fink, hahah, couldn't agree more! Send me a message when you get the chance. We should compare notes sometime.

nebelk said:
Hello from mandan, I just found this forum yesterday after ordering a brewing kit (should arrive early next week) and searching online for some sound advice. good to know there are local homebrewers around.
Have you gotten your kit yet? I'd be happy to offer any input and help you out! :mug:

seems like an old thread but i am in Fargo and brew about every other weekend. good to hear from fellow brewers on here

good, if the temps hold it will be a nice weekend for brewing. sunday looks poor but saturday i will be brewing

Hey, Sioux, Sioux! i have a belgian blonde that my wife likes. last of my misc ingredients to make it. will have to brew on sunday now. i forgot i have a meeting in bismarck tomorrow. should be back saturday but too late to brew.

Hey Minot!

Ah, there's a lot of love for the Belgian styles at our house too. You're about a week too early for your meeting in Bis. Our Belgian Strong isn't quite done conditioning yet.
:mug:

I am going to brew up a Two Hearted clone tomorrow since we are finally getting winter weather.

There is a beer event in Fargo next week, Saturday March 10th from 1-4pm.
The 2nd Annual Suds 'n' Spuds at the El Zagal Shrine.
Sample beers from local distributors along with Granite City and Fargo Beer Company plus you can try homebrewed beer from the Prairie Homebrewing Companions.

For or $20 entry fee you get to sample all those beers with your unique 2012 sampler glass and you can go to the huge potato bar to make your own loaded baked potatoes.

sns2.jpg

hoppedupbrewer and Hockeyhunter99, I don't quite know if you are PHC members from your profiles but if not, please stop by and meet your local club members.

There is a beer event in Fargo next week,
hoppedupbrewer and Hockeyhunter99, I don't quite know if you are PHC members from your profiles but if not, please stop by and meet your local club members.

I'd love to meet some PHC members, but I'll be out of town that weekend. Would you PM me some info on the next meeting and I'll see if I can't make that? I haven't had a good reason for not joining other than just not doing it :drunk:

i will be there. i have been to a PHC meeting but i haven't had the chance to get out to all of there things. when i did get to the meeting, i was really overwhelmed by all of the beer knowledge because i was a complete noob. (that was 5 years and 300gals ago.) i have been getting pushed around with work, wife, 2 kids, masters classes, plus getting some time to myself. once i get done with schooling i will be joining. i have heard some very good things about them. my dad and i will be heading to the event. i wanted to go last year but i didn't even know about it until the morning of the event. i am excited.

The next meeting of the Prairie Homebrewing Companions is next Wednesday, March 14th at the El Zegal Shrine - 1429 N 3rd St in Fargo. It starts at 7:30 but people will probably be there by 7:00 to to judging for the Award of Brewing program. Hopefully you can make it.

The club web page should have the latest info on the times and location of the next meeting. http://prairiehomebrewers.org

Just reviving an old thread. Been a long time lurker, first time posting since i can finally afford to begin home brewing :). Have some questions for any home brewers in Fargo, ND and is it wise for me to go to PHC even if i am a complete newbie.

is it wise for me to go to PHC even if i am a complete newbie.

Absolutely! The PHC welcomes all levels of homebrewers. There are a lot of highly experienced members, but we have some starting extract brewers as well.

It's not on the website yet, but our next meeting will be August 8 at the Oak Grove park North Shelter starting around 4pm. Should be plenty of beer to be passed around, and I believe the club is buying burgers & brats. PM me if you have any questions. Cheers!

Hello from Fargo. been brewing a few years and have grown hops in the back yard this year. i am not a member of PHC but i know they are a great group of brewers. (just not my thing, yet) i would definately go to their meetings and see if it is for you. best of luck

So, I seem to be having an issue getting bottles. Have tried a few different things, contacted the recycling place but haven't heard back, and talked to friends. The friends that drink the most beer drink Busch Light cans "To save money" so they are not much help. I have been enjoying emptying bottles on my own, but can only do so many a night. :drunk:

Does anybody on here have a bunch of extras that they would be willing to sell? I sometimes see people who have switched to kegs have a bunch of extras so figured I would give this a shot. Any advice would be appreciated! I know I can buy new ones but that gets expensice. Thanks!

Does anybody on here have a bunch of extras that they would be willing to sell? I sometimes see people who have switched to kegs have a bunch of extras so figured I would give this a shot. Any advice would be appreciated! I know I can buy new ones but that gets expensice. Thanks!

I'd normally be able to help you out, but I've handed out a ton of beer lately, and not all the bottles have come back. I'll let you know if I can scrape up a case or so of empties.

Bernies on South University a couple blocks north of I94 used to have old cases of empty returnable bottles for sale really cheap, but some were pretty dirty so they needed some good cleaning before use but you end up with the more solid returnable bottle in a heavyweight returnable box. Give them a call or stop by and see if they have any left.

Thanks for the tip on Bernie's. I got three cases in nice boxes for $3. They are clear but will work for the cider I want to make. Now I won't have to use brown bottles for that and tie them up.

No problem, glad it worked out for you.
A way to contact more homebrewers in the Fargo/Moorhead area directly is the Prairie Homebrewers Yahoo group mailing list. You don't have to be a member to sign up but you will get more info on the club and also beer happenings in the F/M area. I have seen people post that they are giving away bottles on that mailing list too.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phc-club/

Hey all! Hello from Fargo as well.

I have been brewing for a year (aside from my questionable attempts while in college). I got some equipment for kegging last Christmas from my brother and this year I got some equipment for all-grain. I did about 100 gallons of wine and beer last year and I am 20 gallons into this year.

If you are looking for bottles, the LHBS in Moorhead will sell you some used pop offs. He even buys them from folks, FYI. I like to get a case of Kirklands beer from Costco. For $19 for a case of pry-off bottles it works out great.

My buddy owns a homebrew shop in Faribault, but his shipping can't be beat. I order from him and within 2 days it is here. One time Speedee was there in 36 hours despite a major storm. I was shoveling my driveway when he brought the boxes. http://knowhowbrewsandfoods.com/

I'd love to chat local brewing and such. I live right next to the Shrine and saw the Suds n' Spuds, but never checked into it. I am bumed I missed it!

I'd love to chat local brewing and such. I live right next to the Shrine and saw the Suds n' Spuds, but never checked into it. I am bumed I missed it!
The Prairie Homebrewing Companions have their monthly meeting this Wednesday the 13th at 7:30 at the Shrine so stop by and you can chat local brewing and sample some homebrews. Bring a glass and some of your beer if you want others to try it.

Looks like this turned into a Fargo thread. I didn't realize any other PHC club members were here on HBT...

Yeah I never made it to a PHC meeting. I am note really interested in the procedure, motions and votes of a club. I was more just looking for some other home-brewers to hang out, drink a few brews, maybe swap some brews and maybe do a brew day together. I live on Elephant park and the kids love to play outside all summer in the park. I was thinking about brewing up a batch or two in the back yard this summer. I might actually be brewing in my front yard when the 5k runs by this year.

Anybody interested?

I understand the lack of desire for the business of the club, I just think if it as a necessary hour a month to pay for all the other time spent taking, drinking and brewing beer since what you want is really what the club spends the majority of the time doing, and there are always several homebrews available during the business to help the time pass.

It looks like the PHC along with the Muddy River Mashers in Bismarck/Mandan and Bitter North Brewers in Grand Forks will be hosting some public brewing sessions for the AHA Big Brew weekend on May 4th so check you local listings for more info.

Tokerlund, even if you don't join the club, join the yahoo group email list for the PHC and then you can at least know when the events are and such and if you do join, you can still just show up for the fun stuff (especially if you bring beer :D ). You don't have to have a yahoo email address to join, any email will do.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phc-club/

Just to confirm BeerRanger, the Muddy River Mashers will be hosting a Big Brew Day event in Mandan on May 4th. If you happen to find yourself in the area, please stop by. There is more information here on the MRM forum.

The ND Brewers campout is June 21st-23rd in Medora too, if you're a camper or just want to stop by for the day. More details here.

I never thought I'd be much of a club person, and while I really could care less for "business" (we have very little of that), I am very grateful for the like minded people I've been able to meet across the state both in person and online.

I have recently purchased equipment to start brewing after a close friend here in bismarck had me help him. We brewed cigar city jai alai clone. It's a brewery in Tampa Fl. Enjoyed it this summer while on vacation. Hope we make it half as good . Besides WESTVLETEREN 12 it's best beer I've ever enjoyed. Excited to here from fellow North Dakota brewers

I'm a homebrewer new to the state. I'll be moving to Bismarck/Mandan as soon as I can find a job there. Anyone else still around?

Welcome to ND.
We are still around and the Muddy River Mashers are still brewing in Bismarck/Mandan - http://muddyrivermashers.org/ and they have their big Oktoberfest coming up on Oct 3rd at the Sertoma Community Center in Sertoma Park.

Looking forward to going to this. I went last year and talked to some super nice people. I have since started brewing and just finished my 7 all grain batch.

Back