PC Fan in Kegerator Pic snd Mount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagg30341

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Danby kegerator I received for Christmas. The first foamy pours are killing me. I am thinking of installing fan or copper. How do people mount the fan inside? Or is copper 1/2" better wrapped in foam insulation? Cheers.

I use the 2 feet of copper tubing technique, a foot or so it sticking down into the fridge. It does a good job of keeping foam down, good enough at least.

The downside with my Danby - which is maybe 6 years old now? - is the tower is small diameter and the hold between the tower and fridge is even smaller. So you can fit a single half inch copper tube with a single line in it (if your line OD is half inch or less, of course) and another line outside the tube.

But I cannot fit two half inch copper tubes through that hole.

Might be some magic diameter of tubing that will fit two lines inside of it...

For a fan mount, I've used a pc fan and had it sit on the back by the condenser plate blowing upwards, it made for much better temperatures (everything felt colder, always, without freezing) but it was too noisy and would fall.

I'm looking to get a higher quality pc fan and securing it with a bracket to the inner wall near the back, but need to ensure no lines can get into the fan blade and stop it from spinning. Need a guard of some sort...

I don't have anything to add, unfortunately, but I'm also interested in solutions specific to the Danby unit. Pics would be very much appreciated, if possible.

I purchased mine from Costco, then immediately converted it to two taps and ball lock kegs. Longer lines and a fan or copper pipes are most likely in my future.

I really don't know how effective a tower cooler is on these Danby units, you know? My tower is PACKED to the GILLS with two taps and two lines, and insulation.

I don't know if there's enough room to really get air in and have it circulate down properly. Without it being able to return down the fan won't be able to add cold air into it. But people in the micromatic forums do swear by tower fans.

I don't think it's totally needed, I think with copper pipe and a fan just to move air around is sufficient.

Your best bet is to install a beer tower cooler fan. You can build your own - there are plenty of instructions on the net and they are cheap to build if you already have a soldering iron and you have PC fan and 12V power supply laying around. If you don't want to build one or don't know how to solder they are cheap enough - about $35.00 each on-line.

Back