5 Rabbit Cerveceria 5 Vultures recipe request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agspaisa

Reaction score
I found a brewery in Chicago called 5 Rabbit Cerveceria, which specializes in Mexican-style brews. I recently tried their 5 Vultures Oaxacan-style Dark Ale, and I'm going crazy trying to find a clone recipe. If anyone has ever tried this brew, they would understand my frustration. Any one have any help to give, I would appreciate it greatly. Happy brews!

Randy Mosher who wrote Radical Brewing is the brewer of these, you might want to try and contact him, he is obviously pro Home Brewing and might help you out.

I contacted the brewery through email, and they quickly responded, politely saying they do not give out recipes. I am particularly stuck with the ancho chiles. Would anyone know what would be the best way to add these to the brew, whether in the wort or in the secondary??

I just wanted to say that I too am from Chicago and am currently enjoying a pint of 5 Vulture. My work has it on tap, which is the best. I was just searching for a clone recipe, and saw your post. Have you had any luck in the last several months?

Better find a clone recipe soon...the way things are going with the owners there may not be a 5 Rabbits before too long.

I haven't had this beer but having Mosher's book and looking at his other published recipes we could have a stab at it.

5 gallons, 75% efficiency (All-grain)

OG 1055 FG 1003 - The website states 6.4%ABV and at this gravity you really need to dry it out to reach that (addition of piloncillo and high attenuating English yeast)

8 lbs Maris Otter
0.5-0.75lb Melanoidin (may seem like a lot but Mosher likes to use lots of higher-kilned malt in his recipes)
~0.25lb dark malt of your choice (chocolate, roasted barley, black, etc)
at least 0.75 lb of piloncillo sugar

You'll most likely need to play with the specialty grain amounts. If you fear any roast, and again, I haven't had the beer, then add the dark grain at the end of your mash to extract mostly the color.

I don't know if there's any hop flavor or aroma, but with the ancho chiles I suspect there is not or very little. Use 1-1.1oz 9%AA Northern Brewer at 60 minutes to get your bitterness around 32+ IBU as the only hop addition.

Ancho chiles - check this blogsite out: http://1227brewing.blogspot.com/2011/03/ancho-amber.html

One word of caution regarding sugar, which I have had some less than desirable experiences with. Sometimes larger amounts of simple sugar has caused my yeast to stop fermenting earlier than I wanted. It's possible that they preferred this rather than the more complex malt sugars and "got lazy". Pitch enough healthy yeast. Monitor fermentation progress if you add the sugar at the end of your boil. You could decide before brewing that adding the sugar later in the process, perhaps a few days after the yeast gets going, may help with reaching that dry FG. Otherwise, don't add the sugar and see what you get on your first try!

ok well looks like i will bringing this thread back. this is what i found from their website.
i will give it a shot and not sure how much passion fruit to add. Or lime zest.

MALT: European Pilsner and Wheat

OTHER: Passionfruit pulp...Passionfruit purée is added to the fermenters for a delicious and slightly exotic flavor.

HOPS: Motueka

YEAST: Natural ale strain at cool temperatures

just realized you were looking for the vulture. my bad

OG: 1.046 (11.4º Plato)
ABV: 4.3
COLOR: Hazy straw
IBU: 20 (low)

Serve at 38°-42º F (3°- 5.5º C)

http://www.5rabbitbrewery.com/5-lizard/

*back from the dead*

Any luck with any of the beers?

I've read the RB book from cover to cover, and since the OP's post, I have tried a bunch of the recipes, and some were a home run, while others I would never brew again.

I'd be curious if anybody has since tried another 5R clone

I just bought Session Beers and (never heard of the brewery before buying the book) decided to brew the 5 Rabbits La Bici Vienna lager. It's bubbling away now!

The original is
5g calcium chloride
6# Pilsner
3# pale Malt
1.75# Borlander Munich
1.6 oz Crystal 40
2.4 oz Midnight Wheat
.25oz Tettnang 75 min
1.25oz Celeia 15 min
2oz Tettnang Whirlpool
.5oz Celeia Whirlpool

What I brewed is

5g calcium chloride
1 Campden tablet
8# Pilsner
2# Borlander Munich
1# Vienna
2.2oz Crystal 40
3.4 oz Midnight Wheat
6oz Acid malt
.5oz Tettnang 75 min
1oz Celeia 15 min
.5oz Tettnang 15 min
Whirlfloc
Yeast nutrient
2oz Tettnang Whirlpool
1oz Celeia Whirlpool
34/70

*back from the dead*

Any luck with any of the beers?

I've read the RB book from cover to cover, and since the OP's post, I have tried a bunch of the recipes, and some were a home run, while others I would never brew again.

I'd be curious if anybody has since tried another 5R clone

I'm curious about the ones you've made and liked/disliked. There is very little feedback out there about this book and recipes. Any thoughts from you would be appreciated!

Back