American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArizonaGoalie said:
I am going to try this as a 1 gallon recipe using:
1 lb light dme
6oz Agave
.33lb crystal 60
1 oz cascade hops

You think the 60 is a little high for a 1 gallon? Maybe .2 lbs would be better ratio for this recipe, if you're copying it.

wcarter1227 said:
This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.

I am a new brewer. I think I will be trying this after The kit I just bought. Thanks for sharing!!!!

You think the 60 is a little high for a 1 gallon? Maybe .2 lbs would be better ratio for this recipe, if you're copying it.

I'm quite new to brewing, and you bring up a good point. I end up using about .25lbs knowing it wasn't exactly scaled down because I only used 1lb DME. Also used about 6oz of organic blue agave syrup at the beginning of the boil.

In addition, all I had was Safale 05 yeast, which I used. So, this was quite an experimental little batch. Will be dry hopping sometime next week. I will let you know how it turns out.

It was so easy doing a 15 minute boil. If this turns out even remotely good I will be doing this in a full 5 gallon batch. And if I do I will be using a White Labs yeast.

Cheers!

Brewed this last night! Pitched Notty and she's churning away! Thanks for the recipe! This really did cut out some time. I was able to brew and cleanup after the kids went to bed. OG sample tasted great! Looking forward to getting this in a keg!

I just updated the recipe notes. You want to add the grains to the water as soon as you turn on your burner and steep them until the water reaches 170 and pull them out.

after pulling the grains do i add the dme? then return to a boil then start adding my hops?

typo13 said:
after pulling the grains do i add the dme? then return to a boil then start adding my hops?

You want to pull your grains when the temp gets over 170. I usually start mixing in the dme while the water is heating up to boiling temp.

1056 would be an excellent yeast for this pale ale.

I just brewed this and went with 05, which is the same yeast strain as 1056.

Bottled my 1 gallon agave batch last night. My sample tasted GREAT. Refer back to my recipe on how I reduced it to 1 gallon. I'm now going to brew this in a full 5 gallon using some agave again.

Cheers!

I imagine any extract recipe could be done in this manner. For example: Rye PA, American Wheat, Heffeweis, Milk Stout. The only difference would be to use the corresponding extracts, spec grains, and yeast for each category of beer desired.

I know 15min is an eye opener for many folks that need to brew but often can't becuase of time constraints.

Awesome to hear of success with this method.

WW

Pretty much called it there. Its just hopbursting essentially. its way better than kit in a can, but doesnt have way more imvolvement

Yes - but not all styles are so amenable to this method. The method gives you such a strong hop flavor and aroma that it would be out of style for things like a Scottish ale or even bitters. It's great for those with hoppy flavors and aromas though!

Not all styles sure. Talking about this makes me want to do another. Rye malt extract and cadcades

Cracked my first bottle from my 1 gallon batch. Immediately cursed myself for not brewing more! This beer is fantastic.

Cracked my first bottle from my 1 gallon batch. Immediately cursed myself for not brewing more! This beer is fantastic.

what was your recipe for 1 gal.? im debating to do this recibe a full 5 gallon and seperate it out to 5-1 gallon jugst or doing a couple small 1 gal batches when i can. i cant boil do a full boil indoors but i can for 1 gallon.

Here's what I used to create a 1 gallon version:
1 lb light dme
5oz blue agave organic syrup
.25lb crystal 60
1 oz cascade hops ( .50 at 15min; .25 at 5min; half of what's left at end of boil; the other half of what's left dry hop)

Used Safale us-05 yeast
Primary for 14 days
Dry hopped in primary for 7 additional days
In bottle for 7 days

Tasted outstanding.

Couple new variations I have tried in the last week:

A 5 gallon batch using LME instead of DME and WLP001

A 3 gallon batch using a full 1lb 60L to steep and added a little corn sugar along with the agave. Used us-05 again. (DME in this version)

Both will be dry hopped after 14 days and bottled after 21 days. Ready for new year's!

:ban:

I brewed this tonight. Did not do a fool boil since I did not want to use my 15 gallon pot. Only had a 4 gallon on hand. Had 3.5 gallons in pot when it boiled and started to add the DME. WOW this was a first for me since I had done kits before. It started to boil over and clumps of DME. Grabbed a 2nd pot to put the clumps in and eventually added them back and the boil took care of the rest. Added about 10 min to the boil for this so we will see how this effects it. I ended up with a ~1.060 OG. I only had to add 1.5 gallons of water to the fermenter. Pitched S-05 qt ~70f.

Did you turn off the heat when adding DME? It's a good habit for two reasons, it prevents boilovers while you stir in all the DME to mix it, and it keeps dme from burning on the bottom of the pan.

I plan on making this over the holidays if possible, but need a larger brew kettle and an immersion chiller.

Has anyone just heated water to a warm temp and add LME and hop extract?

Talk about quick and easy...not sure how it would turn out... LAZYMAN BREWING??? LOL

-WW

The secret to easily blending DME into water (in addition to killing the heat) is to use a wire whisk. It works really really well to break up those clumps and get everything dissolved.

Just kegged this. Hydro sample tasted amazing!!!!

I had a few thoughts and wanted to bounce them off you guys.

Question#1: could you do the math and use something like magnum for the first hop addition and get something close to the same flavor here?

Question#2: how about Simcoe, columbus, or falconer's flight hops in this recipe? Seems like a good idea to me, but wanted some other thoughts on this, might be a reason it doesn't work well.

Question#3: glacier hops are very similar in AA%. Has anyone here tried this recipe with glacier?

Thanks for your input!!!!

The simple answer is that you can use any hop that you like the flavor of in this recipe. The key to understand is that, since you are only boiling the hops for 15 minutes you need a lot of 'em, and that a lot of the flavor will be left behind.

Recently brewed a 5 gal batch with 7lbs of LME (instead of DME) and WLP001.

It turned out okay, but not nearly as good as the DME version with S-04.

Have a 3 gal batch bottled conditioning right now that was DME and S-05. I will report back the results.

Hooray beer!

:ban:

Brewed this tonight. Super easy. I used Amarillo during the boil and added a little Crystal 120L to give it a little more color. Also used a Kolsch yeast. I changed the first hop addition from 15 to 12 min (based on Beersmith) to bring down the IBUs a bit for SWMBO. I will dry hop with the cascade in a couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes. If all goes well, this may be a regular in my keezer. Thanks for the recipe.

chronoclast said:
Plan to try this week as a 3.5gal batch using Citra.

I've been thinking of trying the same. Post the recipe you decide on when you give it a try (if you don't mind, of course). I would like to see what you come up with.

I finally kegged my batch on Sunday. I used LME instead of dry. My batch sat in primary for about six weeks and spent three weeks on the dry hop due to time constraints. I never dry hop that long, but it didn't seem to have any I'll effects. It tasted pretty damn good! Should have a better idea early next week how it is with some fizz! I don't think this recipe will let anyone down!

Just brewed my batch yesterday. Got to try out my new 9 gallon bayou kettle, banjo burner, and 50 ft stainless wort chiller. I ended up with a 21 minute boil with 6.2 aau cascade. With the new equipment, it cut my brewing time in half. I ended up making it a 3+ hour ordeal, but I also made and ate dinner and before transferring to my carboy. This was also my first time doing a full extract boil, I will need to learn how full vs partial boils affects the quality of beer, but I also plan on moving to all grain soon.

The only other main difference on this batch is that I used Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale yeast. My brewstore said it was new and will highlight the hops. That's the point of this recipe it seems.

30 hours later and it's fermenting away nicely. Color is opaque light brown, was expecting something different, but that's what it is. I for got whirlfloc, but left most of the trub behind.

Even though a 15 min boil is an easy brew day, I still had a few mishaps....1. I thought I had my alarm set fot 170, and then I would take the grains out, but I accidentally turned off the alarm. By the time I check on the grains, it was at 180! Yikes!
Mistake 2 was i decided to use my 7 gal kettle, The wort literally jumped out of the kettle once I added the hops!
My only real concern is that I hope I don't get any astringency for the steeped grain being at 180. I don't think they were at that temp for very long since I was heating up at the time. (Maybe a couple of minutes above 170)

Going to brew this again tonight, all DME and using s-04. Going to throw in a twist: some coriander and orange peel in the boil.

ArizonaGoalie said:
Going to brew this again tonight, all DME and using s-04. Going to throw in a twist: some coriander and orange peel in the boil.
Keep us posted I like the sound of this.

Supergus said:
Even though a 15 min boil is an easy brew day, I still had a few mishaps....1. I thought I had my alarm set fot 170, and then I would take the grains out, but I accidentally turned off the alarm. By the time I check on the grains, it was at 180! Yikes!
Mistake 2 was i decided to use my 7 gal kettle, The wort literally jumped out of the kettle once I added the hops!
My only real concern is that I hope I don't get any astringency for the steeped grain being at 180. I don't think they were at that temp for very long since I was heating up at the time. (Maybe a couple of minutes above 170)

I wouldn't worry about your grains getting to 180. I would bet you won't see any kind of difference at all. Boil overs suck, but they happen from time to time too. I think you will be all good. Keep us posted!!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence tcory. I am pretty excited about the Citra! I love the smell of them! Never brewed with them before...

chemdoc said:
I've been thinking of trying the same. Post the recipe you decide on when you give it a try (if you don't mind, of course). I would like to see what you come up with.

Ok so I brewed this last night. Bubbling very nicely right now as I type this.

Steep - 2 gallons
Boil - 4 gallons
Post Boil - 3.8 gallons (so a little bit more than 3.5)

11oz Crystal 60
4LB Golden Light DME
2oz Corn Sugar

1.3 oz Citra (14.1a%) @ 15 min
.55 oz Citra @ 10 min
.35 oz Citra @ 5 min
.35 oz Citra @ Flameout

1/2tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min

Pitched rehydrated Nottingham Yeast.

OG - 1.050 (although my thermometer broke moments before so I don't know the temp of the wort to make the proper adjustment)

Going to ferment in 5gal glass carboy until gravity stays same for three days, then dry hop 1oz Citra for 7 days. All just in the primary.

Had a couple mistakes. The one listed above about the temperature of my wort sample for measuring OG. Also forgot to put grain bag or strainer over funnel when pouring wort into carboy. I'll just tie a grain bag to the end of my auto-syphon when I rack to keg.

Took me a little over two hours counting clean up. Could probably get this done in under two hours with wort chiller though.

Supergus said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence tcory. I am pretty excited about the Citra! I love the smell of them! Never brewed with them before...

Definitely keep us posted on the citra. I just bought a pound and would love to try it in an APA. I just used citra in the kettle for the first time recently in an IPA. It has been great as a dry hop though!!!!

Back