dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
could some please review this or point me in the right direction. i want to try this in a batch i just racked to the secondary. will there be a significant difference? are the amount to be used less? is it the prefered method of the more experienced brewers?

dry hopping imparts aroma mainly, and can be quite enjoyable. I like to dry hop with cascade, maybe 1/4oz-1/2oz of pellets tossed right into the secondary. I did a barleywine with 2oz whole leaf cascade dry hop and it smells like heaven. Add them five days before bottling. Any hop with a low alpha acid makes for a good dry hop.

I might add that you should re-affix a blowoff hose after dry-hopping if you use pellets, as it creates many nucleation sites for dissolved CO2 that could cause a blowoff.

i just dry hopped my IPA with about 1/2 oz of cascade leaf. i didnt put them in a bag, didnt have to much of a problem. next time i might put them in a grain bag...but i'm worried it'd expand then i dont know how to get it out haha

I've been dry hopping .5oz of Cascade for 2wks during 2ndary in my IPA's. Great aroma! I just add the pellets directly to the beer. Some hop bits get in the last couple of bottles but I just label those "CHUNKY". If you like hop aroma try Cascade.

Back