0 mins hop additions + wort straining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I just got a strainer for when I go from chilled wort to primary, and am really liking the amount of trub it catches. Certainly is going to make my life easier when I rack to the keg.... now I'm not sure how this will affect recipes with a <2 minute hop addition.

Is it possible that the hops will have enough impact in the time the wort is cooling? If I have a recipe that calls for dry hopping, my plan is to put it in a muslin baggie - so I guess I could do the same with the <2 mins hops additions if that is necessary?? Thanks.

Unless you are dry hopping, hops really only do their thing during the boil. once cooled that have given what they are supposed to give. 1 or 2 minutes is not uncommon, and with clarifying agents and the like the amount of hops left over can be minimal. I would say not to worry about bagging hops that go into the boil.

I see your point, I guess I thought 0 minute hops additions are suppose to be some sort of weird dry-hopping? If not, I'll just strain them out...

The wort needs to be boiling to get significant bittering from hops. It does NOT have to be boiling to get aroma and flavor.

I also seem to remember reading (In BYO Mag???) something about adding hops while you're whirl pooling, and that the act of stirring the wort actually helps with the flavor and aroma utilization.

Sorry, not sure that had anything to do with your question... :off:

Add your 0min / flameout hops once you've chilled to ~150°F. Then steep and slowly chill the rest of the way over 30-60 mins or so. Filter out once chilled - they've already made their contribution.

Hop oils are delicate and boiling drives them off quickly. More stick around with the cooler temps. So you have a long warm steep (flameout) and a long cold steep (dry hop). Works like a champ.

This advice came from a guy on this site who is a professional chef & works with delicate herbs & zests. It's good advice. I've done it twice now, and the results are superior, IMO.

I add a massive flameout addition and whirlpool for 20 minutes, love the aroma and flavor from it...try it

Tall_Yotie said:
Unless you are dry hopping, hops really only do their thing during the boil. once cooled that have given what they are supposed to give. 1 or 2 minutes is not uncommon, and with clarifying agents and the like the amount of hops left over can be minimal. I would say not to worry about bagging hops that go into the boil.

This isn't true at all (regarding the statement about hops only doing their thing during boiling.) brew a beer, use 0 hops during your boil, and drop 4 ozs of something in at flameout and do a dry hop...it WILL have some bitterness.

Back